Best 50 bucks you'll ever spend!

wwooden

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
Just saw this at the Apple website under the "Special Deals". I think this is "the best 50 bucks you'll ever spend". You get a faster processor, bigger harddrive, more VRam and the AirPort Extreme card.

Attachments

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
wwooden said:
Just saw this at the Apple website under the "Special Deals". I think this is "the best 50 bucks you'll ever spend". You get a faster processor, bigger harddrive, more VRam and the AirPort Extreme card.
Agreed - although, to be fair, it should be pointed out that you downgrade from a SuperDrive to a Combo. Not a big deal for most, but one advantage (the only one) to the cheaper option.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
jsw said:
Agreed - although, to be fair, it should be pointed out that you downgrade from a SuperDrive to a Combo. Not a big deal for most, but one advantage (the only one) to the cheaper option.
You can get a better DVD burner from a 3rd party installer.

So that is not a problem either. ;) :)

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
thats not a bad deal at all, and as Maya, points out, you can get a dual layer dvd burner externally, which is probably better in the long run

xyian

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2004
PDX
Re: Best 50 bucks

Is this an educational deal or something? I looked at their site and it must have been a typo or something. I only saw a higher price.

wwooden

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
xyian said:
Is this an educational deal or something? I looked at their site and it must have been a typo or something. I only saw a higher price.
Did you click on the Special Deals down on the right side once you are in apple online store? These deals don't stay long, they are usually returned or refurbished computers, so they have a limited supply.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
wwooden said:
Did you click on the Special Deals down on the right side once you are in apple online store? These deals don't stay long, they are usually returned or refurbished computers, so they have a limited supply.
Too bad its not available in Canada. Some other countries might share the same restriction as Canada on the "Special Deals". :(

_bnkr612

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2004
Just bought one.

$1,189 with MI sales sax and 2nd day shipping.

Getting excited already.

dejo

Staff member
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Okay, I gotta ask. Sorry if this seems like a newbie question. How exactly is this the best 50 bucks I'll ever spend when it costs over 1000?

ebuc

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2003
Nor'East
Higher Prices Now

NB: Ignore the message below, I didn't notice the superdrive/combo difference.

The prices in the 1st post do not reflect the current Apple Store prices (even though there is a slight difference in HD sizes, that wouldn't warrant a 300 dollar price difference)

••••••••••••••••
PowerBook G4 1.33GHz/ 256MB/ 60GB/ Combo/ AP Extreme Card/ E/ 12-inch TFT/ Aluminum
Learn More
• Save 19% off the original price

Original price: $1,599.00
Your price: $1,299.00

and

PowerBook G4 1.33GHz/ 256MB/ 60GB/ SuperDrive/ AP Extreme Card/ E/ 12-inch TFT/ Aluminum
Learn More
• Save 17% off the original price

Original price: $1,799.00
Your price: $1,499.00
•••••••••••••

*copied and pasted from the Apple Store at 1:45 EST*

I would have put the actual image, but I couldn't figure out how to attach the image.

wwooden

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
dejo said:
Okay, I gotta ask. Sorry if this seems like a newbie question. How exactly is this the best 50 bucks I'll ever spend when it costs over 1000?
I guess you didn't see the Keynote from MWSF. Steve talked about how the iPod Mini was only $50 more then a flash drive, he said it was "the best fifty dollars you'll spend".

noelister

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2005
Quick question

If one would upgrade to the superdrive from a third party installer does this void the warrenty? Even if one would install it themselves?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.