Best 500GB drive for Drobo?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by danny_w, Oct 6, 2008.

1. danny_w macrumors 601

I just ordered a Drobo (1st gen) and will need to be getting some drives for it. I don't need a lot of space and can't afford too much after paying for the Drobo, so I am thinking 3 500GB drives for now; I can always expand later, and 3 500GB drives gives me more space now than 2 750GB drives for around the same price. I have been concerned with the (seemingly) high defect rate for the new larger drives, esp. Seagates, so that is another reason for using smaller drives. Does buffer size make much difference in this application? I am thinking not, but any advice would be welcome.

2. Karpfish macrumors 6502a

Karpfish

For only $10 more, you can get 640GB drives instead of the 500GB drives. I have 2 640s in my drobo and they are working perfectly. One drive did not work out of the box but I put it in my dad's MP and formatted it and then put it back in my Drobo and it has been working perfectly since.

640GB:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136218

3. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks for the tip. This is a better price than any of the others at $.125/GB. Some of the comments say that it runs hot and gets loud. What do you think of the drive? How long have you had it/them? Do you have a 1st or 2nd gen Drobo? I hear the 2nd gen has better cooling so heat may not be as much of an issue.

4. Karpfish macrumors 6502a

Karpfish

I have a 2nd gen. I run it with the front off just for some extra air flow and I haven't had any issues.

5. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

thanks. Mine should be here tomorrow but it is a 1st gen. I read reviews saying that the 1st gen cools much better with the front cover in place; the drives get hot and die with the cover off. I know that one magazine reviewer said that he killed 2 drives with the cover off. I don't know about the 2nd gen.

6. Karpfish macrumors 6502a

Karpfish

O really? I guess I should go put the cover back on. I assumed it was better off without the cover.

7. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

Yes, I think they assumed the same thing.