Best 500gb hard drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mugs, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Mugs macrumors regular

Hi, I'm looking to upgrade the 320gb hard drive that came with my 2.66ghz MBP. I was just wondering what's the quickest 500gb 2.5" drive around now? I would love to get the scorpio blue 640gb but I can't really justify the fact its like double the price of most of the 500gb's. Btw I live in the UK :) Thanks a lot, also does anyone know a good website to buy from inside the UK for stuff like hard drives and Ram, because newegg seem good but I don't think they ship here :( Thanks again.

2. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

I think that given you don't have a small drive now (eg. 160gb) it makes more sense to get an external drive for the data you don't need on the go (movies etc). I'd wait for 7200RPM 500+ GB drives to become cheaper before I upgraded my internal drive.

3. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

I've been very pleased with my WD Scorpio Blue 500GB drive.

4. Mugs thread starter macrumors regular

Hey. Yer I was looking at that one, was the there a noticable change in speed when you changed from your stock drive? Thanks

5. Meever macrumors 6502a

Both Segate and WD are great brands, you really can't go wrong either way.

BTW:

5400 is fine. 7200 does very little to boost performance. Few second faster bootup, few second faster reads/writes for about 10%-15% drain in battery performance.

Get a nice 500gb drive now. By next year 80/160 SSD (which have huge performance boosts and extends battery life) prices will be much more reasonable. And you can buy a cheap 10 dollar enclosure for the 2.5' hd and use that for your movies/music.

6. Mugs thread starter macrumors regular

Cool thanks a lot for that. I think I'm guna go for the scorpio blue 500gb :) Also anybody know a good website who ships/delivers to the UK for hard drives and RAM? Thanks

7. AnotherFanBoy macrumors regular

I have the WD Scorpio Blue and it's a great drive. I then bought a cheap enclosure for my stock drive. I got mine from Amazon. For RAM and stuff some good places are Crucial, Misco, eBuyer.

8. jamesryanbell macrumors 68020

jamesryanbell

Not much. I just wanted more space though in a reliable drive, and I got it. It's a really nice bargain IMHO.

9. solchitlins macrumors regular

10. Takashi macrumors regular

I like WD more, but Segate is not bad either.

I would get the 500GB version since it's the best buy. For a laptop, I would stick with 5,400 rpm since it's more economical ($$ and battery).

11. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

I have a couple of the 500GB Scorpio Blues and they work fantastic for me.
    I guess im a bit of WD fanatic ( ijust prefer theyre fairly simple product line up)

Actually, the 640GB is a nice drive...and if you wait a couple of hours, i believe newegg is listing it for a BlackFriday deal of $90 which is a steal.

http://www.facebook.com/Newegg?v=app_10339498918

product:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136459&cm_mmc=SNC-Facebook-_-na-_-na-_-na

:cool:

*edit* oh in the UK, shoot.well anyone finding this might be enlightened to get a good deal on the 640

12. neteng101 macrumors 65816

Got my Hitachi 7K500 today, CCC the old drive to it and then installed it, runs perfectly so far, a bit snappier than the stock 320GB I had. Does get a tad warm on the palmrest (it was always warmer on that side before, not sure if its really different), but very very quiet/silent, not that I heard the old drive either. I had it open/naked and didn't hear much at all when cloning via USB to it (had a USB board for 2.5" drives I hooked up to it).

13. MikeyTree macrumors 6502

14. Takashi macrumors regular

Me too. To OP: My opinions will be biased towards WD. Nevertheless, they are all good.

15. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

I just bought the seagate from Amazon £80 (free next day delivery) actually cheaper on dabs £75.
    Broke after 3/52 - amazon sent a replacement the next day.

Speedwise - seconds quicker on start up
    Battery - no difference noted - certianly not 10-15% drain on battery
    Space - good - have 300Gb mac and 200Gb windows 7
    Price - reasonable

Just check out quality of other peoples seagate experiences I guess

What ever happened to scoprio blacks??

16. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

Check out this deal

Just bought this today at Amazon to upgrade from my 320Gb 7200rpm HD. I'm putting the old one in another computer. Only $89.99. I needed the extra space from my Windows Install...

Segate ST9500420AS

Nuc