Best accessories for Retina iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bentom13, Nov 22, 2014.

1. bentom13 macrumors member

I have a Retina iMac on the way to me, est. 10-16th December.

Specs: I7, M295X, 8GB RAM (I already have an upgrade kit to install as soon as it arrives!) 512GB SSD!

I am really hoping that this machine will fly as it is a BIG investment!!

However, i was wondering what are the best accessories that i can get for it?

Also what are good pieces of software i can install on it?

Please let me know of any ideas - i am in the UK but an ideas are much appreciated!

Thankyou in advance!

2. Steveatesh macrumors regular

Steveatesh

Hi, just curious as to how you are going to install the SSD, I thought you couldn't change a hard drive in imac ?

As for software, I'm new to Mac so going through that too. It starts with what you want to do with the software of course, I'm currently looking for a backup app that will recognize and back up to my NAS, to support my time machine backup to an external USB drive.

I've had to put parallels on too as I still need to access some Windows only software, I'm trying some Mac photo editing software from Corel and Adobe to see which one gets the thumbs up.

Have not seen much need for anything else at the moment, but I'll watch this thread in case I'm missing some gems. Best of luck with your hard drive swap!

3. Thorf13 macrumors member

I use ChronoSync for this. It's a great program.

4. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

He is going to upgrade the Ram, not the SSD :)

5. bentom13 thread starter macrumors member

I will not be doing a HDD swap!

I have ordered it with an SSD!

6. Steveatesh macrumors regular

Steveatesh

Oops that's what happens when you come onto a forum after a night out!

I'll sit in the naughty corner a while..... :rolleyes:

----------

Thanks I'll check it out :)

7. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Time Machine will do this, alternating backups each hour to the USB drive and the NAS. I've done this for a couple of years or more. Check the documentation on your NAS to allow a specific amount of space to be used for Time Machine.

8. robgendreau macrumors 68040

I use a Plugable USB 3 caddy and swap drives every other day, and TM alternates backups between the two with no problem. Nice for offsite storage.

9. JenPoMas macrumors newbie

I second ChronoSync. It's a great piece of software. Very sophisticated, advanced, and full of options. Can be for a newbie Mac user (because of its simplicity and easy UI) or for the advanced user (because of the many options). Setting it up is easy. I've been using it for years and love it!