Best accessories to physically protect 17" Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sandor Clegane, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Sandor Clegane macrumors newbie

I'm looking to get some accessories to protect my device from damage or grime. So I was wondering if there are any recommended accessories for protecting the unibody and the keyboard?

The speck case seems to be the most popular but I've heard that without regular maintenance it can actually scratch the Macbook. If that's the case it may not be worth it for me.

As for keyboard covers, hopefully something that can come off easy if necessary and doesn't leave gooey residue. I have also read on Amazon that keyboard covers will if you don't protect the screen somehow they will damage it. Don't know if that's true.

So I guess basically something that would be low maintenance and doesn't scuff up, scratch or make the Macbook sticky.

Thanks!

2. iLikeTurtles! macrumors 6502

ANY hard shell case will neeed to be removed ocasionally to remove debris build up

buy the speck if u want actual strong protection

3. johnathan98 macrumors newbie

can you please tell me where you got the 17 inch macbook pro? and does it have a superdrive inside it? in the store the biggest is 15 inch. do you have a cinema display?

thanks.

4. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Nothing beats a good laptop bag for transporting it.

When out and being used it's just a matter of a little care and you can enjoy it just as it came out of the box. No garish films, shells, or other 3rd party gimmicks required :)

5. Sandor Clegane, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012

Sandor Clegane thread starter macrumors newbie

I got it last year, I heard that Apple discontinued the "17 inch Macbook a couple of months ago. Sorry. :( I'm only asking now because I'm getting some minor repair work done.

I can give you the model number so you can look it up but I'm not sure about the specifics myself.

EDIT: Apparently Amazon's still selling it.

I actually have a BBP carrying case for my laptop. So that would be enough? Thanks. :)

6. simsaladimbamba

The 17" (2011 and older models) can still be bought via Apple Online Store > Shop Refurbished Mac section, and yes, it has a SuperDrive.