Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyACEcandy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
I think I will get the most music use out of my ipod touch while I'm in the car....

Is there an accessory for this? If so, what is the best one

Thanks

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
That'll depend on the headunit in your car. For example I have an Alpine headunit, so I have an Alpine accessory that lets my connect an iPod and control it from the headunit. Perhaps you could tell us a little more...

andyACEcandy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
My head unit is stock. My friend does what you're talking about with his head unit.

I just have the stock head unit on my 2004 Honda Accord

I'd prefer something that charges and at the same time plays the music in my car......

MacDann

macrumors 6502a
My head unit is stock. My friend does what you're talking about with his head unit.

I'd prefer something that charges and at the same time plays the music in my car......

Try this.

No personal gain/endorsement, just something I found with a quick Google search.

My 2001 Nissan has an aux input that was stock for the optional CD changer. There is a simple hack with a 5 pin DIN connector that allows you to access it, so I do that and use a dock connector that has a line out jack. It also has a charger input that allows the iPod to charge or be powered directly off of the car's power, too. The only issue I have had is with ground loops, but that was easily fixed and is a separate topic.

The only other thing I can think of is some sort of a cradle - in my Nissan I ran the cables to the center console storage box, but that's cumbersome in the event you want to change programs.

With my recently acquired 8G iPod Touch, I want to be able to access the screen, so I'm on the hunt for some sort of cradle.

By all means, go the line/aux in way, as FM transmitters are such a pain, especially if you live in a metro area.

MacDann

KeegoSupremo

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2006
I listen to most my music in my car. I use to have a alpine headunit that worked with the iPod, but I got a new car and wanted to keep a stock look so I used http://www.mp3yourcar.com I use it with my iPhone every time I get in the car.

fridgeymonster3

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2008
Philadelphia

If your stock unit has a aux input (or CD Changer in trunk or elsewhere) you can have a local audio car shop install a direct link from the aux input so you can charge and play music through your system. The quality will be about CD quality, so much much better than FM transmitter. It should costs between $100 - $150 (usually matters on the type of car since the labor is relatively easy). I have a stupid Audi A4, where the parts cost more than double my friends toyota :mad:! In my car the aux ipod input had to take the place of the CD changer (which I don't use anyway) so that might have to happen with your car. Just drop by a local audio place and ask them - I checked three places and chose the best.

Silver-Fox

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2007
England
That would depend on where you live. Around London (England) that's about as much use as a chocolate fireguard: there are more or less no free FM frequencies and the few that are free change every mile or so...

i live in colchester moderate sized town in UK have no problems so thought it could be the same

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
i live in colchester moderate sized town in UK have no problems so thought it could be the same

There are a lot of London only FM stations (far more than I've encountered elsewhere in the UK) and filling every single little gap there are pirate stations all pumping out the same dire R&B rubbish.

I've found that FM transmitters work reasonably well when I'm on holiday in hire cars, but the sound quality is nothing like a proper wired in connection.

I certainly could not say that it was the "best accessory", more like the "if you've got no other choice"...

bov

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
San Francisco
i use a cassette adapter to listen to my iPod and it works out quite well. The good thing about them is that they are cheap! i've tried fm transmitters before but have not had any good quality/sound with them. Cassette adapter is your best bet... if you have one that is ;)

br1anc

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2008
i say go with a cassette adapter. theres no static but on the downside, no charging.

scotty96LSC

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I bought a Sony headunit for the sole purpose of playing my iTouch. I use the aux jack and plug in. Great sound. I listen to most of my music through my iTouch in my car. FM transmitters sucked for volume control so I went this route.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.