Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JasonBourne1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2009
Im currently using an Excel spreadsheet, but my business is expanding so I need to use something more functional. I have tried Sage and Quickbooks but didnt really like them, not to mention the price was ridiculous.
Does anyone know any good ones?

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
Honestly, if you're serious about your business (no offense intended by that, I just mean the difference between making $5k/year and $150k/year), I'd highly suggest Quickbooks. There is a learning curve, and it's sort of a pain to customize, but once everything is set up it is so damned automated it's amazing; I spend maybe 5 minutes a day in it and all my records are kept correct and current...

EDIT: plus pretty much every accountant on the planet uses it, so it ends up saving you money there (and, in our case, a LOT of money)

ssmed

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2009
UK
Quickbooks is not localised for the UK and many other countries

Quickbooks may not be an appropriate choice is you are out of the US. You could look at MoneyWorks (http://www.cognito.co.nz).

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
Good point, I had assumed he/she was running a US business. Replace "Quickbooks" with "whatever works for your region".

And really, just ask your accountant what he/she prefers you use and go from there. If you make them happy, and are compatible with them, they work less hours, which costs you less money. Good luck!

JasonBourne1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 29, 2009
Thanks for the suggestions - yes its a UK based business and I think I have found the best package. Its exactly what Im looking for, not to mention incredibly cheap as well!
Its called Liquid Accounts - website below if anyone is interested

http://www.liquidaccounts.net

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Anybody using quickbooks have any advice on using the SDK to do some customization with it?

For example - I want to generate monthly customer statements, invoices, etc - and I'm not sure if I can do that without the help of the SDK, which only runs on Windows...

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Best advice was to ask your accountant.

I don't know off-hand if it is regionalized for the UK, but I use and very much like AccountEdge (formerly MYOB). They also claim, if I understand correctly, that they will give your accountant a copy of the software if that will help them support you.

Cheers

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
Anybody using quickbooks have any advice on using the SDK to do some customization with it?

For example - I want to generate monthly customer statements, invoices, etc - and I'm not sure if I can do that without the help of the SDK, which only runs on Windows...

You SHOULD be able to do this in Quickbooks as is. If you know specifically what you need, I'd say drop a post on the Intuit forums, they're pretty helpful over there. :)

phadam

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2009
I dont mean to jump in on the quickbooks comment but does quickbooks for mac not support online banking? Is this a huge downside to the software or would it not really affect much? I was looking into quickbooks myself lately.

Macloven

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
I dont mean to jump in on the quickbooks comment but does quickbooks for mac not support online banking? Is this a huge downside to the software or would it not really affect much? I was looking into quickbooks myself lately.

Plenty of my clients are running qbooks mac with online banking. Be sure your bank has file compatability with qbooks and if so, it's easy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.