Best Ad Network for Other Countries?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by ArtOfWarfare, Sep 25, 2011.

1. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

Okay, so I've found that my iAd supported app has had 100 downloads and has made 284 ad requests. About 177 of those ad requests were fulfilled.

Not bad, I'd heard iAd's fill rate was about that, but I dug into the number a little more and was surprised about the reason:

iAds simply aren't displayed in many countries. Looking at the "By Country" break down, the UK, Spain, and Italy all have 100% fill rates, the US has a 98.5% fill rate, and France has a 90% fill rate. And then every other country has a 0% fill rate.

So, of my 107 ad requests that went unfulfilled, 103 of them came from countries that don't have iAds.

These countries that are requesting, but not getting ads are:
    Turkey - 20 Requests
    Australia - 17
    Canada - 16
    United Arab Kingdom - 11
    Unknown - 8
    China - 7
    Sweden - 6
    Germany - 4
    India, Philippines, Venezuela - 3 each
    Netherlands, Singapore - 2 each
    Pakistan - 1

So, any suggestions for how I could start getting ad revenue from these countries? Namely, if an ad network could display ads for Turkey, Australia, and Canada, that'd satisfy half of the requests that are currently not getting fulfilled.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to handle this?

I'm thinking I could create two different versions of my app, one only available in countries where iAds work, that would be free and iAd supported, and another version of my app only available in the countries where it doesn't, and they'd get it for $0.99.

Thoughts?

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Are you sure they don't have iAds? Or could it be that your app didn't meet the criteria that the advertisers have set for serving an ad at that time under those conditions? Or perhaps some other reason? I think until you have a better understanding of how ad serving works, you should probably avoid making assumptions as to the causes of the effects you are seeing.

You might want to consider integrating a service like AdWhirl, an ad service mediation layer, that lets you use several ad services, such as iAds, AdMob, etc. to help increase your fill rates. Of course, you'll want to confirm which of those services is serving ads in those countries you're worried about, as well as other factors that might affect your fill rate.

Also, even if you are seeing 100% fill rates across the board, you will still probably see much less revenue as long as your CTRs remain near zero, since advertisers tend to pay much more for click-throughs than impressions.

3. jiminaus macrumors 65816

jiminaus

I can confirm Australia most certainly has iAds.

4. ArtOfWarfare thread starter macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

AdWhirl looks like an interesting possibility.

Thanks for letting me know Australia does have iAds, jiminaus. I guess just none of the people that run ads there target my app category... it seems odd because "Utility" doesn't seem like a terribly limiting category to me.

5. Rodney Jones macrumors newbie

iad works only in US, UK, Germany and maybe 1 or 2 other west european countries. if you have global traffic try some platforms like mobclix,adiquity,smaato..I have got good results from them..