Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

junior

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2003
Hey guys.

I'm thinking of getting a second computer to cover most or all of my sampling and VI needs.
I'll most likely get a Mac Pro but I am exploring the possibility of going with a PC, due to it's cost-effective, upgradable advantage.

I'd like to keep things simple so I'll most likely go for a ADAT interface (probably internal) plugging straight into my ProTools HD rig.

It's not for live purposes or anything so 8 channels at a time will be fine for me.

As an extra, it would be nice if this interface had AES/EBU output as well, though it's not a must.

Any recommendations? Is RME the best route? Which of their products would you say was the best for this approach? What kind of price range will I be looking at?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

NotChemist

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2007
I have a MOTU Traveler (US$850), which I can recommend as it works well with 10.5 and has ADAT and AES/EBU connections. The RME Fireface 400 ($1300) has ADAT ins and outs, along with SPDIF on RCA that can be converted to AES/EBU. If RME ever gets off their behinds and ships the HDSPe RayDAT, it would be great for a Mac Pro running VI's. The RayDAT has four ADAT inputs and four ADAT outputs, along with separate AES/EBU, SPDIF and MIDI I/O in a two-slot PCI-Express card - and probably for less money than the other two options above.

My only negative recommendation is against the M-Audio Profire Lightbridge. It seems like an attractive way to get multiple ADAT ins and outs, but the drivers - in typical M-Audio fashion - are terrible, and the interface is said to have annoying glitches. There is also a Presonus multi-channel ADAT interface that I haven't seen or heard anything about; however, I suspect that it will be much better than anything M-Audio has to offer.

junior

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2003
I have a MOTU Traveler (US$850), which I can recommend as it works well with 10.5 and has ADAT and AES/EBU connections. The RME Fireface 400 ($1300) has ADAT ins and outs, along with SPDIF on RCA that can be converted to AES/EBU. If RME ever gets off their behinds and ships the HDSPe RayDAT, it would be great for a Mac Pro running VI's. The RayDAT has four ADAT inputs and four ADAT outputs, along with separate AES/EBU, SPDIF and MIDI I/O in a two-slot PCI-Express card - and probably for less money than the other two options above.

My only negative recommendation is against the M-Audio Profire Lightbridge. It seems like an attractive way to get multiple ADAT ins and outs, but the drivers - in typical M-Audio fashion - are terrible, and the interface is said to have annoying glitches. There is also a Presonus multi-channel ADAT interface that I haven't seen or heard anything about; however, I suspect that it will be much better than anything M-Audio has to offer.

Whoa! Thanks for digging this up! I'd given up on any answers here on the forum.
Anyway. I'm not so interested in the Motu option, mainly because I don't need any analog I/O for what I'm considering.
And I totally agree with you on Maudio. Won't be going that route.
So I think RME is the best one, and like you, I'm hoping for the RayDAT to come out pretty soon. I'll also check out the Presonus option, thanks.

EcToCoOLerRage

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2008
Phila.
I have the Presonus firepod. Does everything I thought it could do and more. Used it for the first time with my band. You can listen to the recordings on my website. EctoCoolerOnline.com. These are the first recording I've done with the Firepod, and also I just got my first Mac in May '08. So I am in the very beginning stages of learning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.