Best AdBlocking Extension for Safari 8?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by That-Guy, Oct 5, 2014.

1. That-Guy macrumors 6502a

That-Guy

Just wondering what Extensions people are using for AdBlocking while using Safari?

I am currently using AdBlock but I also know there are others like AdBlock Plus.

I was using µBlock when I was on Mavericks with Google Chrome but love the new Safari in Yosemite so don't want to install Chrome too and µBlock isn't available for Safari as far as I know.

2. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

They all kind of suck for Safari because they can't block pre roll video ads. Arguably the most annoying kind of ads, so that is a pretty fatal flaw in all of them.

3. viizi macrumors regular

this is the only thing that stops me from using Safari

4. Alrescha macrumors 68020

It is not an extension per se, I use a software firewall. Safari is whitelisted, in that it has a (short) list of sites it is allowed to contact. I do not see many ads this way. Yes, it can be a pain to manage, and some things break. It is all a matter of priorities :)

A.

5. boast macrumors 65816

boast

I'm using adguard as adblock and adblock+ slowed down safari browsing

6. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

Me too. I like the new Safari but I'm stuck with Firefox until Apple decides to allow more access to Safari's API.

7. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

adguard IS pretty good (so far, only had it a few days). didn't really notice a slowdown with adblock plus tho...

8. MacSumo macrumors regular

You could potentially also use the OSX's equivalent of a Windows hosts/Linux iptables file and block the IPs and domains of known ads.

9. viizi macrumors regular

I could easily enjoy the internet ads but the video ads on youtube etc, that is just life wasting and pisses me off so much