Best (affordable) air purifier for apartment?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Prof., May 5, 2016.

1. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Anyone have any recommendations? What kind do you use? I've looked on Amazon, but I've never heard of some of those brands. Ideally I'd like a filter that's not going to break after 3 months like my space heater did. :(

I was thinking about this one

2. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

If you have allergies, something with a HEPA filter is a must. Not HEPA-like nor HEPA-equivalent; that crap is just marketing mumbo-jumbo. Some folks swear by 'em, but I don't like those electrostatic filters either.

I had one of the round Honeywell air purifiers for a few years. Awesome product, only the cost of replacing the HEPA filter every 3 to 6 months was not fun. I switched to a fairly inexpensive Winix with a washable/reusable HEPA filter (another 2 washing and I'll need to replace it). Having activated carbon is a plus, especially someone who believes "every little bean should be heard as well as seen.";)

3. imhereareyou macrumors regular

imhereareyou

4. macmesser, Jun 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2016

macmesser macrumors 6502a

I'm looking at units on Amazon right now. I have two dusty locations (office and home office in basement) and my Macs in both locations get amazingly dirty. I blow them out and clean every six months or so, so they don't start overheating. I'm wondering if a unit that also purifies by generating ozone might be harmful to circuitry? Looking at:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AM3US6U?psc=1

5. Possumgal macrumors member

Possumgal

I had an ozone-type purifier in the same room with my G4 for years. The G4 is still going strong, the purifier, not so much.

6. VideoFreek macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

I've been using a couple of the Sharp PlasmaCluster units at home for the past few years. I've been very happy with them. You can get models with and without humidification.

7. macmesser, Jun 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2016

macmesser macrumors 6502a

Thanks. Was it just ozone or did it have ionic separation or hepa filter as well? Any human problems with the ozone?

8. macmesser macrumors 6502a

Thanks. Checked them out and liked them. Humidifier and ionizer in addition to hepa and under one control system is nice but they are a little small for my application. More cost effective to buy one unit that's a bit more than my calculated need.

9. macmesser macrumors 6502a

Reconsidering these since they make negative ions and should be good with dust. Did you ever notice an increase in static discharges while using?

10. VideoFreek macrumors 6502

VideoFreek

No, I've seen no increase in static. I think the ions don't stay around for long; otherwise they'd pose a health hazard (that's the problem with the old ozone-emitters). I think static is more a function of humidity level.

By the way, here is an interesting site I've consulted in the past, which features a large amount of information on air purifiers. It's run by some guy who seems to be sort of an air purifier maven:

http://www.air-purifier-power.com/

11. macmesser macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the link. Should help make a good purchase decision.