Best Affordable Audio Interface

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Mkz, May 18, 2010.

1. Mkz macrumors regular

Mkz

Hey there,

I'm searching for the best affordable audio interface (below £200) for a simple home set up, recording guitars/vocals and it seems all the ones on Apples website are very overpriced for what they seem to offer.

I've been looking at the Yamaha Audiogram 6 http://www.dv247.com/computer-hardware/yamaha-audiogram-6-usb-audio-interface-with-steinberg-cubase-ai4--49993 which seems to good value for money but I really have no idea if It's actually any good or not.

Open to all suggestions and advice :)

Thank you!

Max

2. Siriosys macrumors regular

Siriosys

Hi Max,

Can you give us a bit more info about your setup such as:

What sort of Mac you've got
    What software you are using or want to use
    How many simultaneous inputs do you need

I have recently gone down a similar path to you, however I've ended up with the Apogee Duet which is quite probably out of your price-range. Having sid that though - God damn, it sounds good!

Regards

Siriosys

3. Mkz thread starter macrumors regular

Mkz

Hey sorry,

Simultaneous inputs isn't a big deal, I'll probably be recording one instrument at a time anyway. I'm using a 2Ghz, 500GB HD, 2GB RAM, MacBook 13" Aluminium. I plan on using either Garage Band or Logic. I think my Mic would need a preamp since it's only a cheap one.. is this generally built into audio interfaces or?

Apogee Duet seems quite expensive since I'd probably be a casual user and there's no firewire port on my MacBook. Maybe the Apogee One would be good, not sure if the built in mic would actually be any good though!

Thanks,

Max

4. Mkz thread starter macrumors regular

Mkz

My Apogee One arrived a few days ago. Absolutely amazing bit of kit but still a bit overpriced for what it is, thanks for the reccomendation of Apogee though!