Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

project_2501

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 1, 2017
The best aftermarket keyboard for 2016/2017 MacBook Pro.
  • It's got dollops of travel.
  • Satisfying feedback on registering a keypress.
  • Its extremely reliable.
  • Engineering refined and tuned over years of custom feedback.
  • Will last years.
  • Resistant to all known forms of household, office and travel dust.

* Does require a PS/2 to USB-A to USB-C adaptor.

1200px-IBM_Model_M.png

Reactions: Queen6 and snortpig

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
This is going just a bit far with your angst against Apple and the new MacBook Pro, don’t you think?

Still waiting for you to show us the actual letter from the *court* showing the judgement against Apple....

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
I love that Das Keyboard!

I have a Das... they're okay-ish depending on what switches you get with it. Not really a fan of costar stabilizers, though.

If you want something that fits the bill, try Topre. It's expensive, but very nice. Realforce 87U 45g-uniform is great if you don't need the numberpad. Leopold FC660C is another nice one, more compact. HHKB if you're willing to really go to the dark side, though the layout and lack of steel plate make it a rather unique little beast -- but certainly small and light to bring with you and fits overtop of the MBP keyboard.

Topre is capacitive so inherently dust-proof and has N-key rollover. There are no contact mechanisms to wear down, either.

The biggest criticism of them is they aren't quite as interesting as buckling springs or SKCM Blue (Alps), but they're very smooth, refined, make a pleasant sound that doesn't drive everyone else nuts, and the tactility is great (not just a notch in the middle of an otherwise linear switch).

I say this as someone with like 18 keyboards. :p

Reactions: Megauliani

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
The best aftermarket keyboard for 2016/2017 MacBook Pro
* Does require a PS/2 to USB-A to USB-C adaptor.

1200px-IBM_Model_M.png
My work stole mine in the dead of night. I was so pissed, I loved my IBM keyboard.

If I could figure out how to plug in the lonely Selectric into a USB port, I’d use that, LOL. :)

Reactions: old-wiz

Cristim74

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2016
Bucharest, Romania
I also use the Das 4 Professional keyboard with brown switches.
I've had it for a little more than 2 years now and it's an excellent keyboard.
One of the best mechanichal keyboards on the market.
I use it together with a Logitech MX Master mouse on my 2017 MacBook Pro 15".

mcpryon2

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2008
I love my Das Keyboard 4 with brown switches, but I also love the Magic Keyboard...and the old Apple bluetooth keyboard. Turns out I like different keyboards and it depends on my mood which one I want to use. For me there is no one keyboard to rule them all. It took me a long time to figure this out.

Reactions: project_2501
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.