Best Aftermarket warranty?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by SweetLou122, Nov 10, 2011.

1. SweetLou122 macrumors regular

Searched for this, but didn't turn anything up.

I'm getting a 4s at the end of the week and will probably try to get an extended warranty such as applecare plus, best buy, or squaretrade. What have most people on here opted for, and how have they liked it. I had the best buy warranty on my 3g when it was first offered, but stopped it after the first year (diminishing return i figured). 3 years later and much abuse later its still going strong.

What have you guys picked?

I would like to find out the full benefits of each, heres what I have found so far (correct me if i'm wrong)

Att warrany- $7 a month 200 deductible, Loss/Theft, spills, drops. Not available in FL ?(I live in fl)
    Applecare plus- $99 2 year, $ 50 deductible (Limited to 2 claims?), covers accidents (Does this include water damage? ), includes tech support (never have needed)
    Suqaretrade- 99$, $50 deductible, full submersion water, accidents, drops.

-Lou

2. osubuckeye macrumors newbie

Hands Down

Squaretrade hands down

Google "Squaretrade coupon code" and you'll save an extra $5 like I did

Why in the world would you pay the same for a warranty that does not include water damage but includes customer service? I bought this phone because it needs no service, apple charges me a pretty penny for products that are ridiculously reliable. The carrier warranties are not even worth considering, so expensive.

3. MayBee macrumors 6502

I got squaretrade for $90. I called them up and told them that applecare + is the same price and I heard they are having some deal with current customers for $90. So they refunded me $10 :)

Squaretrade can use 3x for a replacement instead of the 2x from Applecare+.

4. mpossoff macrumors 68020

You can get as many replacements as needed covered under the hardware warranty.

You're referring to accidental instances such as cracked screen in which there is 2X from Apple Care +.

5. SweetLou122 thread starter macrumors regular

The only reason I considered applecare +was because there's a nearby apple store, and It could be easier. The att one only interested me because of the loss and theft coverage, although the deductible is a bit high, and they do not cover Florida for some reason. The only thing putting me off from squaretrade is that you do not deal with them in person, but if their customer service is good and a lot of people like them it seems like the best choice.

6. mpossoff macrumors 68020

With SQ are you able to get an exchange on the spot at an Apple Store?

7. Solange82200 macrumors regular

Uhh, say what? Where did you see they dont cover Florida? I live in Florida and Ive been paying the 5 bucks or whatever it is a month for my iphone 4 insurance for 6 months now!

8. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Warranty != insurance and vice versa. Make sure you understand the options you're considering.

9. SweetLou122 thread starter macrumors regular

I read this part of their coverage, I guess they reimburse you if you go to a genius bar, but I would like to know EXACTLY how that works.

On squaretrade's website, this could be false as I just skimmed through ATTs detailed insurance information and I did not see anything that confirmed this.
    (squaretrade could very well be wrong)

Not sure what you mean by this, I know regular applecare is just an extended warranty, while the plus covers accidental damage as well. I do like to read the fine print, hence the thread.

10. mpossoff, Nov 10, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2011

mpossoff macrumors 68020

Only difference I can see is that SQ covers theft. For someone like me who lives close to 2 Apple Stores, Apple Care + is a better option. Because if I have a hardware issue like a loose power button after a year and I have Apple Care +, I just take it into the Genius and get a new iPhone.

11. Mr. G macrumors member

Does SquareTrade cover loss, no questions asked? Like let's just say, for instance, you're phone is a year old and beat up so you decide to try and skip across the pond in your backyard....with no success. You call them up and you'll get a new iPhone 4?

12. hizzaah macrumors 6502

wow lol

13. Solange82200 macrumors regular

Thanks, Ill look into it and report back. Thanks for the head;s up....

14. Mr. G macrumors member

Does it cover loss/theft?

15. SweetLou122 thread starter macrumors regular

Suqaretrade's warranty does NOT cover theft or loss as far as I have read. The only one up there that does is att's, which has a 200 deductible, but only 7 a month.

16. Stormy05 macrumors member

Square trade isn't so great.I have my 4s warrantied with them. They claim to be a hassle free warranty. But when I sent them my receipt in .xps format they complained that they could not open it. Nowhere that I saw said anything about what format the receipt it has to be in. They tried to get me to resend it in jpeg format, but I tried and could not change the format. And because they don't state which format the receipt needs to be in, If anything does happen to my iphone and they refuse to repair it I will be suing them.

17. nippyjun macrumors 65816

I don't think it's fair to say they are not good because they couldn't read your receipt. They can't possibly open every file format. Just do a screen capture of the receipt on your computer, save as jpeg, and send.

18. sawah macrumors 6502a

sawah

19. Stormy05 macrumors member

I just tried to send my screen capture and got a mail failed permanently reply. I don't see why the file is only 187kb. And .xps is a very common format. It would be very easy to view, just goggle ".xps viewer" and you can find a way to view it. I was just saying their not hassle free like they claim, cause it would be very simple for them to view it.

20. jfulcher macrumors regular

*technically* extended warranties ARE insurance. A warranty is just the original warranty given to you by the manufacturer - an extended warranty even if sold by a manufacturer is underwritten with an insurance policy.

21. SweetLou122 thread starter macrumors regular

I looked through that website, seems like a pretty good deal. I am concerned, however, from their lack of feedback. Squaretrade has been around a good while, and have a lot of reviews. My only issue there.

While I understand your complaint, there is a limit however to, "hassle free," it takes 2 seconds to reformat something, just saying thats not a deal breaker.

I did dig up a few more companies however, and a company called Securranty has caught my eye. $99 2 year coverage, up to 3 claims a year, theft and loss also covered with only a $75 deductible for the latter, 50 for repair. :eek: Accredited by the BBB, I cannot seem to find anything wrong with this, besides that they don't provide a loaner phone. (not a big deal I could use my 3g for a few days). This could be the winner so far.

Others check it out and see if I missed anything http://www.securranty.com/index.html