Best AirPort Extreme setup for Mac + Windows

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Quackington, May 5, 2013.

1. Quackington macrumors member

Hi there,

I've been using AirPort Extreme for the best part of 10 years now. I've always had no wireless password setup, just an access control list with all of the mac addresses im my household (macs and Windows PCs, gaming consoles, phones etc.).

It can be a little annoying (to keep adding mac addresses to the access list), but I've always had this set up because for some reason, the password I'd set up would allow some machines to connect and wouldn't let others connect.

I'd like to rectify this, and am hoping someone can help me. Is there a specific setup I should follow to allow all devices to easily connect? E.g. a specific wireless security option, password with a certain number of characters / specific setup? WPA vs WPA 2?

I'd really like to try and resolve this once and for all, so any and all suggestions/help are welcome.

Thanks.

2. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I believe that the Wii only supports WEP encryption. And the original Xbox only WPA (not WPA2). So if you have either of those, your options might be slightly limited.

I'd maybe suggest that you run a single networking cable out to your home theatre, then have a switch there that you can plug all of your devices into. The wired setup would just make everything more stable.