Best Alarm Clock App (Must Wake From Sleep)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iAlexG, Aug 6, 2009.

1. iAlexG macrumors 6502

iAlexG

I am looking for an alarm clock app but I have tried Alarm Clock and that on only woke my mac from sleep on the first use then it came up with errors. I have also tried Awaken but that one would not wake my mac at all. Im thinking about trying Aurora and Alarm Clock Pro but they also cost money like Awaken so i dont want to waste my money. Any suggestions?

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

If you shut down your Mac at night, you can schedule it to start up in the Energy Saver control panel. Drop an mp3 into start up items and you're good to go.

3. iAlexG thread starter macrumors 6502

iAlexG

I dont really want and MP3 as a start up item as surely it would play every time i switch on my mac? If thats so then I would have to change the start-up items every time as I would not be using the alarm every day. I just want an app to wake my mac up and play a playlist

4. jeshepard macrumors member

5. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

I second jeshepard's vote for Alarm Clock 2. It can do both of the things you mentioned: waking from sleep and playing an MP3 (actually, anything from your iTunes library). If you're having problems, why not try e-mailing the developer at the address listed for bug reports towards the bottom of the page? Be sure to give the actual error you are getting (although posting it here wouldn't hurt, either).

Also, with any wake-from-sleep app, if you have a laptop, you need to make sure you don't have it set up in such away that it will go right back to sleep. This means you either need to leave the lid open or have an external display connected.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

6. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

I use awaken. I know that it didn't wake your mac but as RMo said why don't you email the developer? Maybe he could help you find out what your problem might be and help you solve it or else report it as a bug.

7. LurkingIowan macrumors member

LurkingIowan

I also use Awaken, and have used it daily for a couple of years now. I've had a handful of days where it didn't go off- but more often than not it was my fault somehow. Just use your cell phone as a back up alarm until you get the hang of it. It works.

8. brian doherty macrumors member

+1 for Alarm Clock 2. Possibly the single most used / useful app I have on my Macbook. It's gotten me up on time (or not, if I keep hitting snooze :D) for class and work for the past 2 years now. I feel like I owe the developer a donation.

*Edit. Donation made. Everyone should use this app!

9. iAlexG thread starter macrumors 6502

iAlexG

Awaken: If i leave my macbook pro screen up and in sleep Awaken will not wake my mac up but if i wake it up the alarm starts playing

Alarm Clock 2: I used this for 2 days but when i restarted my macbook and opened that night it said reauthentication is required to wake mac up from sleep so i tried to reauthenticate but it said that the internal components of the app had been tampered with and that i should re-install. I re-installed but when I restarted the same problem came up again.

Alarm Clock Pro: I am really considering this one now can anyone tell me if it will wake my mac up from sleep?