Best all around lens?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Trav29, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Trav29 macrumors member

Hey guys I have a Nikon D3000 and I would like to know what lens would be the best all around lens? I would like to take picture of cars and other vehicles. But would like the lens to be used for other stuff. Thanks.

2. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I can't comment on a Nikon specific lens but something in the 24 - 70 range is usually considered an all around lens.

That being said an all around lens is very subjective. For me my walk around is a 16- 35 on a full frame, and I personally would use that for shooting cars because I like the exaggerated effect I get of an ultra wide angle, but for you you may not like that.

Before purchasing a lens you may want to try a site like http://www.rentglass.com and rent a few before settling on one and see which suits your needs.

3. Trav29 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help but I will be asking for it as a Christmas present and I won't be able to use my camera until Christmas when I go back to Fl so renting isn't really an option

4. Policar macrumors 6502a

Look through your photos and see what focal lengths you use most now with your current lenses. Or if you have a point and shoot look up the equivalent focal lengths. If you've got a kit lens and use everything equally, get a 17-55mm f2.8 zoom of some sort. If you're always at the long end, go for a longer zoom. Short end...something shorter.

Personally, I don't like ultra-wides. For me (on APS-C), a 17-55mm zoom (and even then, I don't think much of the long end) and an 85mm prime would be all I'd really need.

5. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

On a Canon 5D2, a 35/1.4 is my all around lens. Zoom with your feet.

6. Dc2006ster macrumors regular

All round lens

I have a Nikon D300. My favourite all round lens is the 18 - 200 mm lens with VR. It is not a pro level lens in terms of image quality but for me, a keen amateur, it is perfectly acceptable and when I am careful with my technique I find the results to be very good.

I did try a 17 - 55mm f 2.8 which is a well regarded lens but found I missed the extra range and was often switching to the 18 - 200mm. I hate changing lenses so now I just keep the 18 - 200 mm lens attached.

I also have the 35 mm f 1.8 which is a great lens but not as versatile.

The 16 - 85 mm f 3.5 - 5.6 is also well regarded and is less expensive than the 18 - 200.

7. cube macrumors G5

If the Nikon 18-200 is too expensive, maybe the Tamron 18-270 PZD would be an acceptable compromise.

8. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I would stick with your kit lens and see if you want more zoom or your happy with the 17-55 range. I would look into getting the 35 f1.8 DX lens. Its a great little lens with a wide aperture so you can get low light shots and also some very nice bokeh and at $200 its a great value.

9. Trav29 thread starter macrumors member

For the pics I was taking I would have liked more Zoom though I wasn't taking many pics of cars at the time.

10. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

On a D3000, you're on a DX sensor so the 17-55mm f/2.8 would be perfect since it's a mid-tele. If that's too expensive, the 18-70mm is a great lens and you get a good deal on them new because they were sold as a kit lens. I take photos of cars and I'm using the 24-70mm on a FX body.

I personally would recommend the 35mm f/1.8 prime lens. It's not considered an all around lens, but it's sharp, fast, inexpensive and will help you become a better photographer since it makes you think on how to frame your photo because you have to zoom with your feet.

11. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

My best general purpose lens is the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8. It's available for Nikon, as well as Canon.

Dale

12. iTiki macrumors 6502

I use the 16-85 on my Nikon as a walk around lens. Nice to have a bit more at each end than some of the other options. If you go to NikonCafe and search the lens area, you will find many shots taken with the 16-85 as well as others.:D

13. dimme macrumors 65816

I use my 28 to 105 as my walking around lens on my D90. If you watch eba you may find on of he older ff 28 to 105 (which is what mine is). They are a great value and pretty dam sharp.

14. baypharm macrumors 65816

baypharm

I have always been fond of the 17mm wide angle lens for an everyday walking lens. Of course I am talking about 17mm coverage in 35mm terms.

For a zoom, a 24-90 (35mm equivalent) would be a great "street photography" lens.

15. Randy McKown macrumors member

I don't use it very often because I shoot primes but I do have an 18-200 VR that I bust out when I have a rush shoot and don't have a lot of time to jack around. Although it's not a pro lens you can't tell from the image quality. It produces very sharp images. You just have to get over the plastic feel of it.