Best all-in-one media player?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by asdfTT123, Jan 20, 2008.

1. asdfTT123 macrumors regular

I'm currently using VLC player for watching divx and other video extensions, but I was wondering if there's a better free (or retail) alternative that offers support for all types of extensions, that also has a friendly and robust user interface.

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

3. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

that's incredibly unfortunate if that's that case. i'm still wishing someone would port over media player classic. simply the best player for windows. VLC is too unstable and unreliable.

4. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Hmm... I've had problems with flip4mac and quicktime, but never one single issue with vlc.

I agree with clevin that VLC is the best out there that's free. I've never tried any retail ones thought, but that's because I've never needed to.

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, there is a mplayer for OSX, derived from MPlayer for linux, it is all around as well, and video is played in one integrated window. But I found it to be inaccurate when seeking through the video (especially wmv).

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html

[​IMG]

6. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

I've had issues with VLC as well, it does seem to crash quite a lot.

It's a shame the apple remote doesn't work with it anymore (not that I can find my remote at the moment...)

7. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

Another fan of VLC here, works fine with everything I throw at it

8. kolax macrumors G3

What version of VLC Player are you running? Check you have the latest version, has tons of fixes aswell as remote control compatibility.

The latest VLC build hasn't crashed for me yet (*touch wood*).

9. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

It's been the opposite for me. Media Player Classic occasionally lost codecs for me in Windows XP, but VLC has always been very stable and is practically flawless for me in Windows XP as well as Panther and Tiger. The worst issue I've had with VLC is the occasional meaningless error window, but you can always click "ignore further errors" anyway....

10. tibi08 macrumors 6502a

tibi08

My VLC used to crash all the time, I deleted it and re-installed the latest copy. Not a problem since....

11. uchuff macrumors member

Quicktime with Perian installed plays quite a lot of things. For everything else I still use VLC.

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Seconded. I use VLC for everything and have never had it crash once on me. I do have Flip4Mac and Perian as well though for QuickTime which works very well too.

13. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

well, i updated from c to d.. lets see if its any better. i'm skeptical though. almost 90% of the time with c, i couldn't quit with the video window open without it crashing.

14. kolax macrumors G3

Again, version D is the official Leopard release. Anything pre D will be buggy.

Common sense...come on.

15. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

^^ i didn't know that d was the official leopard release. c was on here when i was running tiger.. oh well, i'll give it a test run later in the day when i have time.