*BEST* All-in-One, Wireless, Printer/Scanner/Fax of 2014?!!?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lip5016, Oct 5, 2014.

1. lip5016 macrumors regular

Hello everyone, I am in the market for a new, home printer.. I am looking for the *BEST* All-in-One, Wireless, Printer/Scanner/Fax of 2014!!!

Here are my requirements:
    -$100-$250 (pref. ~$150)
    -All-in-One (printer, scanner, fax, copy)
    -Wireless or Bluetooth connectivity
    -Prints fast
    -Will be used for things like printing e-mails, internet articles, HQ photos..
    -Something that could interact with iPhone 5s
    -*NOT* A MASSIVE GOOZYGAM that's gona take up my entire desk!

So far from my research, it looks to be that the "mosts popular" brands are:
    -Canon
    -Epson
    -HP
    -Brother

Can anybody recommend me a nice, wireless or bluetooth, All-in-One Printer, Scanner, Copy, Fax for under $250? (*preferably closer to $150*)

Thanks!

2. 100thMonkey macrumors member

Getting some pretty experiences the Canon Pixima 922 myself but also considering a change to one that can do full duplex copying/scanning.

I'd also be interested in people's input, without any price limits for reasonable home office/small business use

3. lip5016 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, that's the exact same model I was looking at on Amazon (Canon PIXMA 922) .. By duplex copying/scanning.. what do you mean? do you mean that it can't "auto-flip" the pages over and print/scan their backside without you having to do it manually?

I don't often have double sided paper but this may be something I need to consider now if that's what you're telling me.. for those "just in case" purposes..

----------

I actually just checked.. the "Canon PIXMA MX922 Wireless Color Photo Printer with Scanner, Copier and Fax" has "Fully-Integrated, 35-sheet Duplex Auto Document Feeder: Easily copy, scan and fax multiple documents without having to load them one page at a time"..

source:
    http://www.amazon.com/Canon-MX922-Wireless-Printer-Scanner/dp/B00AVWKUJS/ref=bdl_pop_ttl_B00AVWKUJS

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I have owned pretty much every brand of printer over the years, and Canons are the only ones I'll buy now. Never had trouble with them. Other brands have been pieces of crap.

My parents recently got the MX922 and it works great, and yeah, duplex means it can print and scan on both sides of the paper.

5. lip5016 thread starter macrumors regular

Is there a difference between "duplex" and "full duplex" then? I'm just confused about the guy's post just above you.. I'm a big noob with printers/scanners so could use some help! :)

6. happyfrappy macrumors 6502

If you want reasonable driver updates & reliability stick with either Brother or Canon... Brother is the best for laser printers as you don't need a replacement drum until 4-5 toner replacements and the prices are reasonable. Page per minute rating is accurate like Epson at "normal" quality, Brother & Canon hasn't stooped to HP marketing. Research the ink cost per page, some lower-end Canon AIOs are expensive vs upper models. Don't have a 2014 model, I can say the Pixma MX870 has done a great job so far for photo printing, scanning, faxing, etc.

As far as HP & Epson, both have so-so ink usage results and HP has *really* went down the tubes on the reliability since Carly left and mismanagement of corner cutting across the board. Most current AIO inkjet HPs typically last 8-14 months for non-Officejet models, then printing alignment drifts and weird issues creep up. HP Officejet models while good printers on paper, unless you print in draft mode with fuzzy images/text the pages per minute is much lower at normal/best. Epson "Workforce" series isn't much better than HP for quality, my parents had the WF600 it was great until the fax modem died, a few months later the auto-page feeder kept sticking/jamming when there wasn't a jam--thankfully they had an in-store extended warranty, Epson includes a 2yr warranty on some models but if it fails at ~14-16 months you'll be praying the refurb replacement has better luck. Epson pages per minute meets their rated specs in "normal" mode, keep in mind if you print photos every so often stick to their photo paper as some "generic & non-Epson matte/glossy" doesn't match the paper weight settings/sensor and borderless printing can create a mess(ink on the rollers)

I don't want to sound negative on AIOs, they're space saving yet build quality is a mixed bag unless you shell out $200+

7. lip5016 thread starter macrumors regular