Best Alternative For MS Office in MacBook Air?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nicole1732, Apr 28, 2015.

1. nicole1732 macrumors newbie

Hi Friends,

I recently purchase Macbook Air and tried to install MS Office. I came to know that it costs you around 3500 INR. I do need Office to open few word documents. Is there a better alternate for MS Office which is available for free?

Your guidance will be more appreciated.

Thank You

2. grandM macrumors 6502a

grandM

Just use pages. It's free, apple made and converts great

3. 0d085d macrumors regular

http://office.live.com

Office online isn't a full version of Office, but it's good enough for most things. You'll need a free Microsoft account, which also gives you 15 GB of OneDrive storage.

4. FoxFifth macrumors 6502

5. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Whereas there are free "alternatives" available such as iWork and LibreOffice, please be aware that these are not true alternatives to Office. There is no true alternative, nothing comes close regretfully. So if you defiantly do need Office features and compatibility, Office is the only way to go.

There is also Office Online which is a cut down version that runs in a web browser. Similar to Google Docs. :)

6. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I second this recommendation, especially if document interchange with MS Office is not required. I have MS Office for Mac and I've been using LibreOffice (with an Office 2013 theme) with great success.

Even better (for a better native OSX experience), spend $10 and pick up a copy of iWork '09.

7. tomnavratil macrumors 6502a

tomnavratil

Office for Mac 2016 Preview

This. None of the alternatives offer functions MS Office Suite does. This is especially true with Excel.

You can also check out the new MS Office 2016 for Mac as the Preview version is free to download (until final release). Funnily enough it's more stable for me than the old Office for Mac 2011 - you might look at it as well ;).