Best alternative to iphone on verizon? palm pre or android?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alainr, Feb 14, 2010.

1. alainr macrumors regular

at&T does not have reception where i live.
    i have a mac and an ipod touch. i used to have a palm and liked it as a pda.

my phone is giving out; i kept waiting to buy a new one hoping that verizon wld get the iphone.

Does the palm pre work well on the mac? or am i better off with an android? i want my phone to:
    1.sync easily w/ical and the address book;
    2. sync memos w/my mac;
    3. easy interface w/the web;
    4. use it for music.

i am not a techie obviously..

i worked hard to get all my palm info onto my mac when i switched from a pc; i like all the apple apps, but i need a phone that works w/verizon.

2. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

no. switch to at&t, get the iphone, connect to wifi and get the mark the spot app by at&t, report your problem saying you need a tower.

3. davidlw macrumors 6502a

VZ will have the Nexus out soon and I would get that if I were in the market for a Android phone. The Pre is a nice but I am afraid of the hardware may or may not last the duration of the contract. I own a Droid and it is very nice and will get a update soon to the new OS. You can get the Droid now but I think that the Nexus is more iPhone like in that it is thin, and fast. IMHO

4. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

yes "more iphone like" because google cant come up with their own ideas, apple has to for them.

5. davidlw macrumors 6502a

By the way, a iPhone on VZ would be my choice.

6. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

also it wouldnt support the ability to talk and use data on 3g, like at&t customers can.

7. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Yep, without a doubt, this is the best advice.

8. Dwanep macrumors member

The Motorola Devour will be out in a couple of weeks, it is your best non iphone choice at this point in time.

9. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

no your best non iphone/iphone choice is the iphone because its the iphone that can do everything the iphone can do, all in one iphone. :p

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

For either Android or Palm, one solution is The Missing Sync.

Not sure about music abilities of either one. Probably best to hit up forums for those phones.

It also comes down to screen size and keyboard need, as well. For example, I think the Pre is extremely usable and I'm about to get a Pixi for my non-techie wife. However, I personally need a larger screen (getting old!).

11. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

That is awful advice. I wouldn't expect any other type of response from someone with a user name like yours though.

Even if you do report that you don't have service in an area, do you think ATT rushes out there to build a tower for you? No.

What's the point of buying a phone that doesn't work when you need it to? If AT&T sucks in your area then don't get the iPhone. There are other phones that will make you much happier. Go to the Verizon store and try out the phones you're interested in to see which one fits you best.

12. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

13. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

Not necessarily. The devour is spec'd comparable to the Eris running Android 1.6.

The Droid is still the best choice spec wise.

14. npep macrumors member

HA! Obviously clueless to the legal issues and community objections to putting a tower up!

15. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

really? community objections? so lets say most of his community has at&t. the at&t customers are going to deny a tower, when they need one to make calls, or just incase of an emergency? let at&t worry about the issues, not you.

16. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I'd do the Pre once it's only vzn, personally. But I don't like android, so that's just me.

17. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

My guess would be that most people in his community don't have AT&T since it barely works there.

18. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

His profile says he's 14 years old.

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If you actually knew what the hell you were talking about, you would know that you cannot roam 100% of the time on AT&T or else they'll give you the boot. It costs them money for you to roam onto another network.

And AT&T isn't going to spend thousands of dollars on a tower just because you submit a report via the Mark the Spot app either :rolleyes:

20. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

then why did they make the mark the spot app? theres a choice for no coverage all the time.

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It's for dead spots in the middle of an area where AT&T has coverage, not for use in areas where AT&T doesn't have coverage at all.

22. npep macrumors member

To make people like you feel good!

23. thetexan macrumors 6502a

I've had both a Pre and Droid, I'd say go with the Droid. The Pre isn't a bad phone, but the applications just aren't there yet. Android offers most applications the iPhone has and even has some unique ones the iPhone could never offer thanks to Apple's craptastic approval policy.

24. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

really? most applications the iphone has? how many does android have? last time i heard it was a little over 14,000. how much does the iphone have? over 140,000. it comes nowhere near as good as the iphone.

25. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

NO, that is so AT&T can sale you a Micro Cell so they(at&t) can use YOUR internet to charge your for service.