Best alternative to iSight?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by born2win413, Sep 1, 2008.

1. born2win413 macrumors member

born2win413

My sister is away for college and my parents misses her a lot...

Since I have a MacBook Air and my sister has a iBook G4, we need to get her a webcam so that my parents can use my MBA to webcam chat with her. I looked up iSight and :eek:at the price for this. Rather then make my parents spend about $100 for this, is there any kind of webcam we can buy to send to her? Also if the webcam works perfectly fine for her iBook G4 then later on we plan to buy another webcam that will work with my mom's iMac G3.

Anyone with experiences with this can recommend a good affordable alternative to iSight? Thank you in advance.

2. fazox macrumors member

Believe it or not the XBOX Live Vision Camera is pretty good and relatively cheap.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

4. born2win413 thread starter macrumors member

born2win413

there's only one that is for mac and its the most expensive one and with that price range, i might as well get an isight...

5. born2win413 thread starter macrumors member

born2win413

I will look into this, so is it confirmed that it will work with the latest Tiger updated on iBook G4? Also there's no mic, but I believe the iBook G4 has a built in mic right? I just want my sister to be able to use iChat with me on my MBA or my mom's iMac G3 or my dad's Dell PC with a PC webcam already...