Best alternative to .Mac?

superspiffy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 6, 2007
Some questions to all you web builders/bloggers out there:

What do you guys think is the best alternative to .Mac for a casual personal webpage?
What do you personally use and why?
Does free hosting exist?

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
I think it depends on what you want.

For example, you can buy & set up your own domain for under $200/year. You'll have all the email addresses that you want, a chunk of storage for hosting files, it often comes with easy-to-use front end software to set up a blog or whatever else, etc...which makes it fairly comparable to the $180/year Family pack option from Apple.

What it won't have is the as-tight integration into Apple, such as iDisk. However, services like fatcow will actually give you enough GB of storage to make the service more useful for certain tasks (such as backing up data files). As such, .MAC is very much overdue for an update, so given that something seems to be expected to change this Tuesday, its worth waiting 24 hours.

-hh

huntercr

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2006
I just changed to Freeweb7 there a much better service plus no ads and there free.
Yikes, they're not into the whole "freedom of speech" thing there are they....

From the site:

"Accounts from CHINA and IRAN or users using chinese or islamic languages will be REMOVED without notification."

ChrisA

macrumors G4
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Does free hosting exist?
Almost every ISP gives their users some amount of "free" web space.

If you have a full time Internet conection you can put your web pages on your
own computer. Of course then, you would have to leave the computer up and
running 24x7. For a low volume web site this is the simplest solution. If you
have many photos you can put them on flikr or photo bucket or the like and
link to them from you own pages.

.mac is good for people who don't know a lot about how the web and the Internet
works and would rather just pay $99 than spend the time learn. There are a lot of people with more money than time if you are one of them it's worth the price.

ortuno2k

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2005
Hollywood, FL
Almost every ISP gives their users some amount of "free" web space.

.mac is good for people who don't know a lot about how the web and the Internet
works and would rather just pay $99 than spend the time learn. There are a lot of people with more money than time if you are one of them it's worth the price.
Not necessarily. For a lot of people you'll see it's just convenience, while others it's because it's easy to use.
I work in the IT industry and I have a .Mac account.
What's my reason? Integration. I don't really need or use the online storage from Apple, or their web hosting services - I've set up my own in the past.