Best Analogy Evar™

Bobdude161

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
N'Albany, Indiana
I was wondering what daily analogies that you use everyday. Kinda dumb subject but I thought I would just share mine.

Prairie Doggin' - A point in time where one is on the verge of soiling their drawers.

Think about it...

What say you?

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
I thought an anology was...

apple is to fruit
as
dog is to animal

you know SAT thingies.

Isn't your thing just a saying you use. *confuzzled* o_O

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
"You're about as useful as a poopie flavored lollypop!"

one of my favorite movie line analogies.

Prairie doggin' isn't an analogy....

D

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
Bobdude161 said:
Prairie Doggin' - A point in time where one is on the verge of soiling their drawers.
=Touching cloth
=(To have) head of the tortoise

I think you mean euphemism. The best source for those is, as any true Englishman with a sense of humour will tell you, Viz. Here's a list from their 'profanisaurus'.

So how many Viz readers here? ;)

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
Mr. Anderson said:
"You're about as useful as a poopie flavored lollypop!"

one of my favorite movie line analogies.

Prairie doggin' isn't an analogy....

D
That's not an analogy either. It's a simile.

MalcolmJID

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
England
MrSmith said:
=Touching cloth
=(To have) head of the tortoise

I think you mean euphemism. The best source for those is, as any true Englishman with a sense of humour will tell you, Viz. Here's a list from their 'profanisaurus'.

So how many Viz readers here? ;)

VIZ RULES!!! Yea! ;)

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2006
In the Depths of the SLC!
A euphanism is like this... "Fussy eater, a euphanism for a big, pain in the butt". An analogy (kinda like a metaphore) is like this "I drop hits like Tony does tricks, a blizzard on a down, a king dawned his crown, euphoric words like the winters dance, words sewn, take them now, don't lose the chance!"

I drop hits, rhymes, like Tony Hawk does tricks, basically a comparison of two similar things, like "Diamonds shine like a car's new paint, the sun reflects, it's all but faint" Like a simile.

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
Most people are giving similes, metaphors, or euphemisms. An analogy is a comparison between to things to explain or clarify. Here's an example:

"Opposition to the war is like a balloon. It keeps growing and growing, and eventually it's going to pop and all hell will break loose."

apfhex's Star Trek example was a good one, too. But Rapmastac1, all yours are similes because they are for description, not explanation or clarification. Diamonds do not shine like a car's new paint. They might look similar, but diamonds shine in a very different way.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
apfhex said:
Analogies are what you see on Star Trek.
I had no idea analogies were so sexy.

Back on topic -- it's only a euphemism if it's using a more pleasant phrase to hide an uglier phrase, which I'm not sure is entirely true. It's almost more of a weird, highly localized idiom.

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
Rapmastac1 said:
A euphanism is like this... "Fussy eater, a euphanism for a big, pain in the butt". An analogy (kinda like a metaphore) is like this "I drop hits like Tony does tricks, a blizzard on a down, a king dawned his crown, euphoric words like the winters dance, words sewn, take them now, don't lose the chance!"
Not too convinced that that's an analogy either. Looks more like you've jut got out a rhyming dictionary and made a bunch of similes.

"Blizzard on a down?" "King dawned his crown?" What does all that mean? How is a King donning his crown have anything to do with you dropping "hits"?

The bit about euphoric words and not losing a chance doesn't really have anything at all to do with the first bit.

What exactly were you trying to do here?

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Bobdude161 said:
I was wondering what daily analogies that you use everyday. Kinda dumb subject but I thought I would just share mine.

Think about it...

What say you?
To me, prairie dogging has always been what happens when something unexpected happens in a cube farm and everyone pops their head up to see what's going on.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
Hmm I think my favorite (from some author... can't remember which one) is :
Their strategy had all the vision and foresight of a well oiled weather vane.
I often use it, it just fits so many situations I see.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
Lau's Link said:
He spoke with the wisdom that can only come from experience, like a guy who went blind because he looked at a solar eclipse without one of those boxes with a pinhole in it and now goes around the country speaking at high schools about the dangers of looking at a solar eclipse without one of those boxes with a pinhole in it.
Freaking brilliant.

I haven't laughed so hard in a long time -- you made my night! :D

This, by the way, is the best thread evar™, for so many diffferent reasons.

L

Lau

thedude110 said:
Freaking brilliant.

I haven't laughed so hard in a long time -- you made my night! :D

This, by the way, is the best thread evar™, for so many diffferent reasons.
Heh!

It was a random google hit, but I think has become one of my favourite links of all time. There's a certain poetic beauty to some — the one you quoted is almost a bit Richard Brautigan, in a way. :D Obviously, they're all also absolutely frickin' hilarious. :p