best and favorite credit cards?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by anamznazn, May 27, 2008.

1. anamznazn macrumors regular

anamznazn

I'm currently looking around for the best credit card in terms of most cash back bonuses. I pay each month in full so the interest rates don't really matter to me. Any suggestions?

What's the type of credit cards you guys use and how come you choose those??

2. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

I'm all about customer service... I choose Amex.

3. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Amex here too, customer service is great and security is wonderful.

Peace:cool:

4. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

i've had a Discover card for 7 years and i absolutely love it! i get loads of cash back, and it works well for me because i, like you, tend to pay my balance off every month. you'll get 1% on everything, and then 5% back on certain categories each quarter.

i chose Discover because their interest rates were great at the time. i also like being able to get my reward as cash, an account credit, or gift cards for restaurants and retail stores. their customer service has always been top-notch in those rare instances i've needed to call them.

hope this helps. :)

5. Motley macrumors 6502

Posted before and will again, check out:

http://www.creditcards.com/

I've got the chase freedom. $50 for first purchase (which I didn't cash in yet because), when you hit $200 in cash back/bonus points you get another $50. So I'll cash out with $250 after only getting $150 in cash back/bonus points.

Also if you go through the chase website you get an extra 4% back from orders at apple online, an extra 9% from target online, and extra 3% from Best Buy online, etc.

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

AMEX here, too.

Customer service is consistently excellent, and they allow Microsoft Money/Quicken to "direct connect" for free (which is way more convenient for me than having to export/import QIF files). I do all of my spending on a card, so being able to quickly and easily get it into Quicken is a requirement for me.

I had a Citi card that had great cash-back benefits, but they changed the terms after about a year, so I stopped using them. They were also more of a PITA to deal with when I had a bogus charge show up. They wanted to me to fill out and mail in/fax paperwork, whereas AMEX only requires an online form be filled out.

7. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Visa from Amazon.com. You get rewards points for any Amazon purchase when you rack up so much in charges.

I always pay mine off at the end of the month, so I have no debt, no interest, and free credit from "And You're Done"

I've heard nothing but nightmares about Discover and all their tiny little hidden fees...

8. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I have a AAA card (Bank of America), pays 5% cash back on gas purchases, so I use it just for that. I also have been very happy with Discover, and they do have gas purchase rewards as well.

However, when I recently borrowed $100,000 on my Discover card to buy a house, they reduced my available credit! Idk what's up with that since I paid it back within two weeks. So I'm a little miffed at Discover right now; they still have not upped my limit back to where it was.

9. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

for the record, as a long-term (7 year) Discover user i've never been charged any "tiny hidden fees"...just sayin'. ;) i've gotten nothing more than the usual interest charge when i have actually carried a balance.

10. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Me too. I've been using Discover for at least 10 years now. I have 4 accounts with them, one with a balance, three without. Never had any hidden fees.

11. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

@ezzie - that's good! I've looked into one for myself but was turned off, and heard from a few friends they tacked on weird fees. Maybe it has something to do with credit rating or paying on time? dunno..

One thing: Try to avoid cards that charge that 'dual monthly balancing' or whatever they call it. It's where they basically charge your interest twice in one billing period.

12. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

The best credit card there is, is the one you just cut up. ;)

13. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I get 3% back on Gas with my Costco Amex card. 2% on groceries and eating out.

14. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Amex with their Membership Rewards program as long as you pay it off monthly. A point for each dollar charged. Had enough for a week long cruise for four saved a while ago.

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

There are no good credit cards, only cards that screw with you least.

16. aristobrat macrumors G4

Maybe. But if you use them responsibly, with a good "rewards card", you can actually benefit by using one.

My AMEX Blue has the Membership Rewards program. Don't have to pay the full balance off monthly, though. Even if you carry a balance from month-to-month, you're still eligible for the points. :)

17. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

I have the chase "perfect card" I love it. its a visa card I though it may also come in a mastercard, so its accepted everywhere. I get 1% cash back on all purchases (no tiering of purchase levels to get that 1% back, I get it on the first dollar I spend to the last), and 3% back on gas. What I love about it is there aren't any points, and I don't have to get to any specific dollar amounts (my discover card, for instance only allows me to cash in rewards in increments of 20 bucks), it just credits my rewards to my next months balance. Exactly what I want.

18. aethelbert macrumors 601

My personal favorite credit cards are the one where your company, not you, pays the bill.

19. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

American Express Blue.

They give you points every time you use it, so I use it for every little purchase (I do pay it off each month though). Then you accumulate points which you can use as cash at quite a few places, though they do have a catalog from which you can buy stuff like TVs, plane tickets, etc.

20. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Agree. This is especially true if you travel a lot.

Agree. So easy to access your account and pay your balance. It's easy to DL your transactions. I love their tracking systems to prevent fraudulent use and theft.

True, if you you do not know how to handle credit cards.

However, if you have the discipline to pay off your balance each month, then a Credit Card is very handy and convenient to use.

Always better when someone else pays the bills! :)

21. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I like the one with war kittens.

I don't have credit cards :eek:

Attached Files:

22. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

I don't like any of them. Cash is my preferred payment.

23. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

Same here - Chase Amazon.com Visa.

Love the Amazon rewards and love their services - they paid for repairs on my iMac when it went sour (new lcd and new disc drive, total of about $1400).

Can't beat that!

24. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

In the past 6 months with my new discover card I've gained $90 cash back, which can be made bigger by buying gift cards to different places....

25. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I like my AMEX blue cash.

5% back on gas, grocery, and drug store purchases and 1.5% on everything else after the first $6500 is charged for the year. On the first 6500 it is 1% and 0.5% which in itself is not bad but if you spend more than 6500 in a year it really pays off.