Phones Best Android worth signing a 2 year contract for today

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by rockitdog, Jan 24, 2014.

1. rockitdog Suspended

T-Mobile has decided to break up with me so I'll be heading elsewhere but most likely will be singing a contract for 2 years. Unfortunately this is probably the worst time of the year to buy and Android but I'm curious if you were going to buy an Android phone today, what one would you choose (excluding the Note- too big and Google Play editions).

2. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Go to AT&T and get a Moto X. Best non-Nexus and non-5 inch plus phone out. Also gives you a smooth nearly vanilla Android feel and great unique features. Avoid Samsung and Touchwiz.
    I would also recommend the HTC One, but consider the Moto X the best Android phone right now. Just my opinion.

If you are coming from iOS, the One and Moto X are the two that are likely to give you the best user experience as well. Most iOS "fluid and smooth" like.

3. HIMAN1998 macrumors 6502

HIMAN1998

I would go with the LG G2, it has the specs of the Nexus 5, or if you can, go with the Nexus 5.

4. tbayrgs, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014

tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

If not switching to Verizon, get a Nexus 5. Or a Moto X unlocked off contract (regardless of carrier). You'll spend a little more than an on contract phone but you won't have a contract. You could even get a Moto G for half as much and still stay month to month.

If you still are going to sign up for a 2 year contract, get an iPhone, sell it, and put the profit towards a Nexus 5 or Moto X.

Update: Just saw this thread--$100 off a Moto X, even cheaper than a Nexus 5 off contract. This would be my choice if I was in your shoes.

5. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

So many people preclude the Note only to experience it later on and then realize that it's not awkwardly big or unwieldy. Then they say how they can never go back to a smaller device, that it feels akward. I can't tell you how many times I hear this from people.

6. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

I hear you on the size issue. Hell, I have a Lumia 1520, which is bigger than the Note 3 and I love it. I no longer need my Nexus 7 for tablet needs. But the OP may not want a large size for whatever reason. Which would likely mean the Nexus 5 and LG G2 are not much of a consideration. And since they are coming from an iPhone, the Moto X is not only just slightly larger, but the near vanilla Android experience is more similar to iOS than Touchwiz or Sense5. I'm not speaking for the OP, just giving my opinion after using the phones and all the respective OS's.

7. gotluck macrumors 603

gotluck

I would recommend buying any phone you like off contract and using att go phone prepaid.

8. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

Oh I agree, everybody has a perspective on what type of device they feel comfortable with but in a general sense the Note always gets a bad rep for being this gargantuan monster that can't be wrangled in when in reality its really not. Yes, It's a big phone/phablet or whatever you want to call it but its still manageable. I wish it was even as big as the 1520 :D

9. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

gmab.Samsung's phones are awesome. if you want to lessen touchwiz's involvement, you can use an alternate launcher like Nova Prime. My Note 3 is the best and it will be very good for at least two years; the screen and s pen are wonderful. Nothing touches its battery life. In two years it will still be an excellent phone.

10. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

I apologize. I just re-read my last sentence you quoted. I def didn't mean to say to avoid Samsung the hardware (even though it read that way). I meant to say to avoid 'Samsung's Touchwiz'. And you are right, you can lessen and even dump the OS. As you can tell, I am not a fan of Touchwiz.

11. Fanaticalism macrumors 6502a

From someone who went i3gs->i4->i4s->i5->S4->N3, I couldn't agree more. The N3 is by far the best phone I've ever owned. With the KitKat Dialer and GEL it's the closest to stock I could get with the air command.

12. Sensamic macrumors 68030

I would buy an unlocked LG G2 from eBay to some user that sells it for 400$ or so.

13. superstarmc macrumors regular

I'd wait. The galaxy S5 and the htc one verision 2 will be announced soon.

14. WAM2 macrumors 6502a

WAM2

Moto X.

Best build quality next to the HTC One.

Moto X gives basically a vanilla experience.

15. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

Only sign a contract if you really want to. If you can't wait for the next HTC or Samsung flagship then I would get the Moto X for $300 or a Nexus 5. If you are going to AT&T you can use their pre-paid service GoPhone or save $15 a month post-paid by bringing your own phone to them. I don't think the other phones are worth a contract at this very moment.

16. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

Thanks for clarifying. Concerning touchwiz, others feel the same. Options are what we need.

17. clborden macrumors regular

clborden

I'm assuming its a launcher, but just to clarify, what is GEL?

18. samven582 macrumors 6502a

I have to disagree. Its built quality is terrible. Every moto x i bought had dust behind the front and back camera

19. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

GEL = Google Experience Launcher (it was the exclusive launcher for the Nexus 5)

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

The Motorola X is inexpensive enough to buy off contract. That way you can use your carrier discount if a new phone catches your eye in a few months.

21. rockitdog thread starter Suspended

I'm thinking it'll be another iPhone for me so I'll probably have to bend over and take it from AT&T or Verizon unless my situation with T-Mobile clears up by 1/31.

----------

See, I wasn't all that impressed with the Nexus 5 build quality either...

22. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

I don't think there is a Android phone right now that is worth getting on contract. I live my Moto x and it's going on sale soon off contract. The Nexus 5 is great if you want pure. If you want a Galaxy or a One, refreshes of those will be coming very soon. We are in an in between period where the options are mixed with no definite answer.

23. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

No phone. Be it android, iOS or WP is worth signing away for two years on.

24. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Amen to that. :D

25. JH- macrumors 6502

If you had to though I would buy an iPhone then sell it off contract and use the proceeds to snag an Android phone at full price.