Best Anti-Glare New-iPad Screen Protector?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by shonor6, Jun 28, 2012.

1. shonor6, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012

shonor6 macrumors member

Hi. So I'm looking for the best screen protector out there. It should be Anti-Glare, relatively easy to install, and most importantly - 2 screen protectors should be included, in case I screw up the installation of the first one. Another important thing to me is that it shouldn't change the image's quality.

So which are the best screen protectors are out there?
    Thanks.

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

By definition an AG film alters the image quality of the screen.

The quality screen protectors only come one to a package. You can go on ebay/amazon and find 2-3 packs, but they are bargain bin films.

PowerSupport installs easy, easy to work bubbles out and or remove dust with scotch tape. I have a perfect success rate.

SGP is very highly rated, but I've botched most attempts.

----------

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=916880

3. JulesK macrumors 6502

SPG/Spigen New iPad Ultra Optics

I have this on my new (gen 3) iPad. I have the crystal clear (no anti-glare/fingerprint version) version on my iPhone 4S (which I assume is similar to the iPad version). I like both, but both have strengths and weaknesses.

The Ultra Optics (and make sure you get the versionfor the new iPad, and not the iPad 2) screen protector is nice, but it takes a lot of patience, really clean hands and screen, and a bit of luck to get it on right. But that's probably true of any precision cut screen protector of that size (and, unfortunately, you only get one per package). It's described as a balance between clarity and anti-glare/fingerprint, and I would say that's right. The Ultra Crystal (glossy) material is very clear, but picks up oil/fingerprints like crazy. The Utra Optics is still clear (but, face it, it's matte and therefore not as clear), but does repel or hide fingerprints/oil well. I'm happy with it, but it does make a "zip zip" sound as you run your fingers across the screen.

The Ultra Crystal material, at least when new, is super clear. You can hardly tell it's there. It's on my iPhone 4S for 7 months, and is showing its age a bit, but my iPhone is often in my pocket with coins, keys, etc., and it's done a great job protecting the screen. I would have gotten it for my iPad except that it does pick up fingerprints and oil pretty quickly, and I wanted to try something that would hide those a bit.

Unfortunately, Spigen only includes one protector per package, and it's a pretty expensive mistake if you botch the install (I've had that happen once), but the trick I've found is to have a really clean surface, really clean hands and screen, a really stable spot for the device, and patience to make sure that the first part of the device goes on straight, and then work deliberately but quickly.

Whatever you do, avoid Zagg (at least until they come out with better materials). I used one once, and it really protected the screen from what would have otherwise beena horrible scratch, but the materials feels like cr_p compared to the Spigen Ultra Crystal.

Good luck.

4. -TYLER macrumors regular

5. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

How do you botch a screen protector install? I've always managed to use the tape method to reposition, remove oil and dirt (which result in bubbles that don't squeegee away). It's practically impossible to botch an install for a dry screen protector.

6. lincolnmayer macrumors member

I've been curious how effective "anti-glare" protectors are? I've been using one that doesn't advertise anti-glare; however, I haven't had any glare problems.

7. pmacuser macrumors member

8. JulesK macrumors 6502

Not always easy...

I'll look into the tape method, but the time I botched in install (my iPhone), I was in a hurry, had the phone on a towel (big mistake; too much dust/particles), and didn't calm down when things started going south. But, I've been installing shields since pretty much the Apple Newton (the original one, I had three of them all told...), so all in all, one experience isn't bad. But you need a lot of patience, is my lesson.

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Definitely not true. You may not have experienced this but that doesn't mean that it isn't possible.

That said, patience, experience, a dust free environment and preparation greatly improve your odds.

Why would the effectiveness matter if you're not experiencing the problem?

While Zagg isn't popular there are happy Zagg users out there. If you don't care for the texture and appearance of Zagg's protectors then don't use them. Their qualities are well documented in countless prior screen protector threads.

10. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

It's PRACTICALLY impossible. Even with dust, they can be removed with tape. Oil that causes bubbles that don't squeegee away can be removed with tape. I honestly think people don't realize how easy it is and that most problems can be easily fixed with a piece of tape. The only way to botch it is if you crease the film, which is very hard to do if you use a piece of tape to lift it, not your fingernail. I would really like to know what some people are doing that causes a piece of film to be rendered unusable after an attempt at an install.

11. -TYLER macrumors regular

Dust stuck on the sticky side of the screen protector when putting it on, not to easy to remove..

12. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

VERY easy to remove. I've already posted it here... just use a piece of tape on the sticky side.

1) Use a piece of tape to lift the film form the screen so as not to damage it.

2) While your are "holding" the film with the piece of tape, get another peice of tape and stick it to the side of the film where the dust is. Do the same for the screen to make sure you got both sides.

3) Lower the film. Voila.

You can do the same for stubborn bubbles, which are caused by oil or dirt.

I've done it many times for all of my phones plus my wife's.

13. -TYLER macrumors regular

I am just saying it isn't as easy on a screen protector for a iPad because it is so much bigger.

I botched my first screen protector because I got dust on it, and wasn't able to get all of it off, so I just used the second one I got in the package.

14. Rodster macrumors 68040

Hey thanks for the tip. I'll give that a try the next time I get dirt stuck to the sticky side of the screen protector. :)

Is it advisable to use rubbing alcohol to remove any oils on the screen or will that damage it? :confused:

15. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

I've never tried it, the tape method has worked every time.

16. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

I actually found the iPad a little easier because it was so big and easier to handle.

17. docprego macrumors 65816

I find just the opposite. There is so much more surface area that the potential for dust to sneak in is much greater. When I install an iPhone screen protector I might get a speck or two of dust stuck behind the protector. But the tape method removes these in seconds without much difficulty. With the iPad the tape method still works but once you lift the screen protector to do this you risk letting more dust particles in. Each removal actually introduces more risk than when a smaller screen is being worked on. Regardless with patience a perfect install is totally possible.

FYI: the white iPad is more difficult to align the screen protector on than the black.

18. Rodster macrumors 68040

I also found that to be the case as well. I can fit and align a screen protector on a black iPad but it's tough to see the edges and how they line up with the screen protector on a white iPad.

19. docprego macrumors 65816

Also around the home button shadows are cast that really mess with your placement. It's actually much more difficult than the black primarily because of this.

20. class77 macrumors 6502a

class77

I have PowerSupport AntiGlare on my iPad and SGP Crystal on my iPhone. I can tell you without hesitation that SGP screen are MUCH harder to install than Power Support. I think it's because they are flimsier, but I can't tell you how many I put on in SGP that I screwed up. On the other hand, Power Support's were a breeze and much easier to set up.

----------

DO NOT USE RUBBING ALCOHOL ON YOUR IPAD. It will damage your iPad. From Apple's website:

Handle your iPad with care to maintain its appearance. If you are concerned about scratching or abrasion, you can use one of the many cases sold separately. To clean iPad, unplug all cables and turn off iPad (press and hold the Sleep/Wake button, and then slide the onscreen slider). Use a soft, slightly damp, lint-free cloth. Avoid getting moisture in openings. Don’t use window cleaners, household cleaners, aerosol sprays, solvents, alcohol, ammonia, or abrasives to clean iPad. iPad has an oleophobic coating on the screen; simply wipe iPad’s screen with a soft, lint-free cloth to remove oil left by your hands. The ability of this coating to repel oil will diminish over time with normal usage, and rubbing the screen with an abrasive material will further diminish its effect and may scratch your screen.

Just get some iKlear and a microfiber towel and do the job right

21. lincolnmayer macrumors member

I don't think there's a "best" screen protector but it definitely depends what you're looking for.

Some protectors can affect your screen's visibility or are plain cheap. It depends on your preferences.

22. taedouni macrumors 65816

I have heard great things about Moshi's iVisor lineup.

23. docprego macrumors 65816

Great protector but I had 2 issues with it. First it degrades the screen quality significantly as expected of an anti-glare protector. Second the portion over the screen is not secured by adhesive. Because of this it floats over the screen and some weird distortions appear.

24. Rodster macrumors 68040

LOL, sorry but I found that quite funny. So in other words it's a great screen protector but now the screen looks like crap and the screen protector floats on the display which distorts the image. Where can I buy some of those screen protectors. :p

25. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

I would like to know as well as I have too much money in my account and it sucks.