Best anti-theft methods for MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ThirtyThr33, Jun 22, 2011.

1. ThirtyThr33 macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

I am aware of what programs are out there, but I'm looking for what you guys have experienced yourself. Any personal advice? Instead of posting a giant list of programs I'd like to hear stories. Did you have a MBP stolen and recovered it somehow with a program? I plan on getting a cable lock for my MBP and maybe undercover 4?

Any suggestions?

2. palpatine macrumors 68040

i have no personal stories. and, i think a bunch of the stories on the internet are crafty ad campaigns for expensive products with no practical value. feeding on fear.

any thief with even the tiniest bit of intelligence will turn off/disable the internet, put a piece of tape over the camera, download all your data, and wipe the drive. in a few hours it will be over.

instead of living in a fantasy world in which cops race around town like jack bauer chasing down people who have our stolen laptops (as these companies would have us believe) we should put our laptops in backpacks and put those backpacks on our back.

leaving your computer on the table at the library, even with a lock, is an open invitation (although, better than no lock at all) to everyone. i won't even comment on the people who leave them on tables at starbucks or other places while they hang out in the bathroom.

instead of wasting time and money on these silly devices, buy insurance (for peace of mind in case of accident or theft) and keep your computer with you :)

3. ThirtyThr33 thread starter macrumors 6502

ThirtyThr33

4. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Yeah. I had statefarm personal articles policy. 50 bucks a year for about 3k in coverage. Basically a get out of jail free card, because after that initial claim apparently the deductible jacks up to a considerable amount.

5. palpatine macrumors 68040

yep. you don't want to keep having stuff stolen. then you become a risk for them!

it comes bundled with my renter's insurance. no big deal to get. and, it gives you peace of mind. i've never had anything stolen, but at least i know i don't have to worry about it.

6. silverf1re macrumors regular

I have no personal experience with it but lojack for Mac is 11 bucks on amazon. Just thought you may want to know.

7. marc11 macrumors 68000

Programs, LoJack, etc are all POST theft recovery devices, not ANTI theft devices. The best anti theft device is common sense IMHO. As said, don't leave it in open areas. Lock it up in your apartment or dorm room, use a cable lock at your desk, etc.

8. errorunknown macrumors member

+1 for common sense and insurance. Had my MBP stolen at college unfortunately, but my parents State Farm homeowners insurance covered it.