Best anti virus app for mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by armenakadino, Apr 23, 2009.

1. armenakadino macrumors member

I know I know you dont need to protect yourself from viruses with a mac, but I was wondering what is the best antivirus app. It would be nice if it would be able to run in bootcamp too clean up that side.

2. nutritious macrumors 6502

you sure? check http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/140226

BTW, i recommend nod32

3. GamaFu macrumors regular

4. LinMac macrumors 65816

I'm usually the first to go for additional security, but in this case it is virtually pointless unless you need an application to protect you from yourself.

Are you going to go to a questionable website, download questionable pirated software, double click said questionable pirated software installer, provide your administrator "You can do anything to my Mac you want to" password to said questionable software, and click OK?

This malware is a trojan that people installed while trying to install pirated software. It is not a self replicating virus that will be on every Mac with Y or Z version of OS X installed.

I see a lot of FUD, but no real reason to panic. You can't build a system capable of resisting an attack from software the system administrator installs on it by providing the administrator password.

5. Illicit macrumors 6502

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I use Symantec Client Security; it may not be the best, but it non-intrusive.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

8. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

9. alec macrumors regular

For under Windows in BootCamp, I recommend SpyBot, AdAware, and AVG Free.

10. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....I recommend searching the forums for the hundreds of antivirus threads that exist already. Really, not to be obnoxious but does anyone really think that they are the first person to ask about viruses or antivirus software? There's so much great info and advice already in these forums on so many subjects but people are just too lazy (and can't be bothered to read the forum faq and guidelines) to look for it....oh yeah!

11. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

i would go with Bitdefender

If you just do a search in google about top ten anti-virus you will see Bitdefender in the top of most lists. I have tried it and Kaspersky, they both very good and light. Currently i am using Bitdefender and up to now no problems (efficient and light). However i advise you strongly to avoid Norton as it will slow your system.

12. The Hammer macrumors regular

Your info isn't current. New version is very light. But I use Eset myself.

13. ChiltonWebb macrumors member

Hi,

Oh no, what if they make a nod32 uninstaller and just rename it iWork '09? Does that make it anti-anti-virus software?

Anti-virus software is not anti-stupid software.

Don't download pirated software, and you won't have to worry about any of lame-ass Mac 'malware'. Problem solved.

-Chilton

14. MactheRye macrumors newbie

Anti Virus and Firewall

Hi, I use the Intego (anti) Virus Barrier X5 and the NetBarrier (firewall) for my iMac - brilliant product and good support communication:) Visit their website. Regards

15. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Windows: I use AVG Free. NOD32 is supposed to be very good. ClamAV is quite good.

OS X: I run ClamXAV to pick up any Windows threats, since I download a lot of Windows apps and such.

Intego's Virus Barrier is the best all rounder for OS X, but costs money, and therefore is a total rip off, as every OS X threat can currently be defended against by common sense.

I run iAntiVirus (free, OS X only threats), just for kicks.

16. emt1 macrumors 65816

The best anti-virus app for Mac is common sense.

17. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

The best antivirus for Windows is common sense as well, but alas most people dont have common sense when it comes to downloading things on the internet. Antivirus programs are designed to protect you from yourself installing trojans, not to stop "viruses" since viruses dont really exist anymore.

18. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Personally, I am much happier using safe and sound computer practices--and lots of common sense--rather than bogging my Mac down with unnecessary software.

19. byocrysis macrumors regular

byocrysis

Heres what I use, great programs and both are FREE!

On the OSX side: iAntiVirus

On my Vista Bootcamp: AVG Free

20. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Windows: Windows Defender in Windows 7 seems to pick up everything for me, and deletes the source of any bad services before they even get a chance to start, so im saving my money and not wasting it on an antivirus. I download, install, scan and then delete AVG monthly just to be extra safe, but the amount of time having an Anti-Virus running would slow down your computer, compared to just fixing a virus when you get it means its not worth having an Anti Virus app in my opinion unless your a p0rn0h0lic.

OS X: Im not a retard and i know there are no viruses whatsoever, not 1, not 2, 0, nothing, nada, nill, ZERO for Mac. :) and there never will be, so theres no point having an Antivirus. Dont say "oh as the amount of Mac users increases there will be more viruses because thats complete bull, nearly 20% of computer users use Mac, yet there have only been a handful of Mac viruses in history, and 99.9999% of viruses now are for Windows.

21. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

There aren't viruses for OS X, but there are trojans, which anitvirus software can pick up. But yes, common sense is the best method by far to keep OS X safe.

22. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

+1 for nod32

I use it at home and on all our windows servers at work.

23. nutritious macrumors 6502

what in the living hell are you talking about? Nod32 is for windows...