best anti virus program for windows viruses ?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bo-waleed, Feb 9, 2011.

1. bo-waleed macrumors 6502

i want to scan some files because i move them to the bootcamp windows.

never mind if it cost $$$ or free.

2. simsaladimbamba

ClamXAV and Sophos can do that, both for free.

3. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

If you're running Windows under bootcamp, look at either Kaspersky (pricey, but very good) or Microsoft Security Essentials (free but effective). I'd personally avoid Norton or McAfee.

4. bo-waleed thread starter macrumors 6502

aren't these programs works only in windows ?

i want to scan them in osx not windows.

5. simsaladimbamba

Yep, they only work in Windows, but if they are running before you copy the files to the Windows partition, they will pick up on Windows malware too.
    Or you could try Sophos or ClamXAV, if you want to do it in Mac OS X.

6. bo-waleed thread starter macrumors 6502

that Sophos program didn't mention anything about widows viruses on the official site.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Norton Antivirus has been available on the Mac since the first Bush Administration. It will disinfect your System 6/7, MS-DOS, and Windows viruses faster than you can say "Jackie Robinson."

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you have antivirus on Windows in Boot Camp (as you should), you don't need to scan files in OS X first. Just move them to the Boot Camp partition. When you launch Windows there, your Windows AV can scan the files and catch anything nasty.

9. jacksnack macrumors newbie

ESET Cybersecurity is great.

I used ESET Smart Security for Windows for many years. While Norton was lagging the whole system, ESET didn't.

Since a few months ESET Cybersecurity for MAC is available.
    Didn't have to think if this package was/is good or not. I bought it and it works like a charm.
    Recently I inserted a USB stick in my MAC and in a few seconds later ALERT. (Windows) viruses found.

Just want to make sure that my mac will be safe for now and the future. I also don't want to be a virus transmitter when I have to put some virus infected stuff to a USB stick for a Windows user.