Best Anti-virus software for Macs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by old-school, Feb 23, 2011.

1. old-school macrumors 6502

Hi All,

I know there's a culture with Mac users that anti-virus software is not needed, but whilst that may be true I use my Macbook on a Windows network at my job, and we've been getting an influx of trojans and the like that have been picked up by the Window's-based anti-virus software.

My MacBook seems to be the only culprit of letting these things through into the files-system and I need to find a reasonable program to filter out such junk when I'm using the company's network and internet connection.

Any suggestions for a good anti-virus software would be much appreciated. I don't know of any for Macs.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

ClamXav or Sophos will do what you need to protect the Windows users

3. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

It's not just a culture, it's a fact that there is so little Mac malware, there is no real need for Mac anti virus software. While you don't need AV software on your Mac, it does not prevent you from inadvertantly spreading windows malware. I suggest you stick with free software clamxav. That's what I use but I can't remember the last time I ran it since there are no windows boxes in my home network for me to possibly infect.

4. old-school thread starter macrumors 6502

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As already stated, it's not a culture; it's a fact.