Best Anti Virus?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by danbee80, Dec 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danbee80 macrumors newbie

Hi Guys...

Looking to install some security on my mac, and the two i have been looking at are Norton Internet Security and Mcafee Internet Security...

Has anybody has any experience with these and can tell me which may be the better option for mac?

Thanks!

2. celticpride678

Anti-Virus software on Macs are pretty pointless since they're aren't any viruses out there for Mac OS X.

Anti-Virus software on Macs usually make the computer unstable, instead of helping it stay secure.

3. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

4. danbee80 thread starter macrumors newbie

Reports are viruses for macs are actually growing now, and it is something i tend to take seriously... I run my whole business from my mac so I like the safety.

Not just for the Anti Virus, but for the firewall and other stuff like Anti Phising etc.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

With all due respect, the reports are wrong, and are likely published by AV companies looking for business

The best AV for the Mac is common sense

There are no viruses, but there are a few trojans which require you to enter your administrative password

6. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

The best anti-virus/malwear for OSX is an informed and alert user. The softwear packages are useless and obtrusive.

7. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

FYI - the OS X has a built-in firewall...

8. dangerfish macrumors 6502

There are no reports that say that because there are currently zero viruses for OS X (oh boy, here we go again).
    Putting AV software on your computer is pointless because there must first be a virus in order to defend against it. They cant write the virus definitions until one exists. Not saying there cant be one someday, but again, they virus must exist before they can know how to defend against it.

OS X has a firewall and I am sure you have a router as well that also has a firewall.

9. Mitchelino macrumors 6502

I agree with what others are saying; I don't have anti-virus on my Mac. However, twice in the past 3 years I installed anti-virus for like a week, before uninstalling it. Both times yielded zero reports of viruses. To be honest, it did more harm then good by using valuable CPU power.

That being said, if you really want anti-virus, I recommend Kaspersky anti-virus. I have been using it on PCs running Windows for at least 5 years now. It recently came out for Mac (it was one of the ones I installed) and I liked the Mac version. Give it a try.

I also tried VirusBarrier. It's also worth looking into.

10. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Yeah, OS X has a port level Firewall (not packet level), alright, and it is turned OFF by default. That already shows you how serious Apple takes security issues.

Maybe there are no viruses for OS X in the wild. But guess what: There are no viruses in the wild for Windows 7 either. Worms and trojans, yes, but viruses are pretty much a relict of the 1990s.

And guess what: That sort of malware works well on OS X, too. Just download and install illegal copies of iWork 09 and you're all set to become a part of the already existing OS X bot net on the Internet.

You people are only fooling yourself into a false sense of security that OS X does NOT actually provide. OS X is NOT a secure OS by design. OpenBSD is, and that pretty much ends the list already (at least of the platforms that are easily accessible/available outside of the military complex).

11. Mitchelino macrumors 6502

Or we can pay iWork (or download the safe free trial) and not worry about that. As long as users are smart about what they do, they shouldn't get infected. But I do agree with you that it is very well possible to get infected, especially through means of installing pirated software and such.

12. AnonMac50 macrumors 65816

I use Sophos Anti-Virus for Mac for Home Users. It's pretty good, and it doesn't seem to slow my computer down. Before that, I used ClamXAV, which was alright. Before that I had Norton, and that was a mess.

13. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

The Anti Virus issue is routinely discussed every few days with no real new information to add. If the OP would like to read up more on the discussions, the Search function or MRoogle will provide ample information.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.