Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hmmmmm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
I have been using Macs for a good few years now and have never had a problem with viruses.

However allot of my friends run Windows on their PC's and want me to get a virus programme to scan my files & downloads before I share them.

Can anyone recommend a good virus software (preferably freeware) that scans all viruses, not just those harmful to macs.

Currently I use iAntivirus, but from what I can see it only finds those relevant to macs.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Cheers :)

Nov 28, 2010
located
As most of the Mac AV software scans only for Windows viruses, as there are none for Mac OS X, any should do.
But why don't your friends use an AV software of their own? Aren't they responsible for their computer's safety? Why should you hog down your CPU for something you are not responsible of? And what files do you have and share that could have viruses for Windows?

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK

+1

It has the advantage that it's not memory resident, so only scans files on demand. Therefore, unlike the others, it doesn't slow your computer down.

I use a version of Clam on a mail server for checking incoming attachments. Works very well.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
However allot of my friends run Windows on their PC's and want me to get a virus programme to scan my files & downloads before I share them.
Are your friends running antivirus on their PCs? If so, their AV will catch anything you could possibly send them. If they're not, they have much greater exposure to malware from sources other than your Mac.

Mac Virus/Malware Info

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.