Best Antivirus/Security Software? Also MacScan Question.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AmbiguousNinja, Sep 18, 2011.

1. AmbiguousNinja macrumors regular

AmbiguousNinja

Hey everyone, a year ago I was a PC. Now I'm a full fledged Mac and I've spent my time learning about my mac ever since. I know there are only a few true viruses that a mac can be inflicted with but I'm a bit on the cautious side and wish to buy a good Antivirus/Security software. I've read into a program called MacScan, any opinions on it? I'd also appreciate alternate suggestions. Thanks!:D

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Zero, to be exact. You don't need any 3rd party antivirus software to protect Mac OS X from malware. No viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any, since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install. Also, Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion have anti-malware protection built in, further reducing the need for 3rd party antivirus apps.
    If you prefer running 3rd party AV, ClamXav is a good bet. Stay away from Sophos and iAntiVirus.

3. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Anti virus is not needed. I quickly learned that here on this website and at the Apple Store. I bought my MBP at Best Buy and they gave me a 6 month free subscription to SmartSurfing. All this did was slow down my computer and prevented certain apps from running. I asked 2 different guys at the Apple Store and they said get rid of it. Anti virus is not needed.

4. MasterBSOD macrumors member

MasterBSOD

I think everyone hit the head on the nail.

It isn't just OSX - its unix like operating systems. Windows does not differentiate between data and executable files. Double clicking on that Excel spreadsheet is the same as executing an EXE, BAT or COM file; or even the newer MSI files.
    on unix like systems, a file must be set to executable (chmod a+x filename) and then, something like "sh filename" or "./filename" has to be typed in to execute the file.

Attached Files:

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not true. There is a difference between executable files and data, both on Windows and Mac OS X. Double-clicking on an Excel spreadsheet doesn't execute the spreadsheet, because it's not executable. It simply launches the app that's associated with that file type and that app opens the spreadsheet. If no app is associated with that file extension, a dialog box asks which app you want to use to open the file. That functionality works the same way on both Windows and Mac OS X.

6. munkery macrumors 68020

munkery

Interested in increasing the security of your Mac? Check out the "Mac Security Suggestions" link in my sig for more information.

7. MasterBSOD macrumors member

MasterBSOD

I understand that. But...
    Double clicking on an executable on a unix like system won't execute it. Try it on OSX or Linux. The packages we know of on OSX are not executables, they're basically Installer data files.
    On Windows, if he file it executable - it executes. If not, then it goes to the registry to see which program to open it with. In effect, treats the data as executable. That is why on Windows one has to keep the AV software active, scanning literally everything that comes down the pipe.

8. escogido macrumors member

I am the same way, a PC convert to Mac. And I'm running Kaspersky, you gotta pay for it though. It only takes 15 megs in memory and uses less than 1% of your CPU. It has detected viruses, mind you, they're windows oriented, but still am glad to know that I've not spread viruses from my mac to other machines, because I do still use windows on other machines.

9. SavMBP15 macrumors 6502

ClamXav ftw. Free and great support. Protects from spreading windows viruses that you might download by mistake.

10. realchimera macrumors regular

There are a lot of virus can infect Mac, but it all depends on what you do on internet. If you download and install all kinds of stuffs, it's good idea to install a virus/spyware scan software

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

False. There are zero viruses in the wild that can infect Mac OS X, and there never have been any. The few trojans that exist are easily avoided by prudent user action. This was already explained to you in another thread you started on this topic. I encourage you to read the Mac Virus/Malware Info link I posted, so you'll have the facts.

12. realchimera macrumors regular

I did read it. And as I said, some people do wild things in the wild, so anti-spyware apps may not be completely useless.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That has nothing do to with the fact that there are zero Mac OS X viruses, contrary to your claim. As long as a Mac OS X user is careful about what software they install, they will not have to worry about malware of any kind. In that regard, anti-spyware apps are useless.

14. realchimera macrumors regular

Ok. You are right and I don't want to argue. But I find this very funny. All I meant to say is that you wouldn't get STD if your only partner is your trustable wife/g/f even if you never used a condom. But if you did wild things at the wild outside, it is better to use condoms

15. Gazelle macrumors newbie

What is the problem with Sophos? I really want to know this, because I installed the free version of Sophos thinking this was a good decision..

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you read the link you just quoted? That explains it.

17. Gazelle macrumors newbie

No I did not, but now I see the problem. So I just removed it. Thanks!