Best Aperture book?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by spaceballl, Dec 10, 2013.

1. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Hi All,

My wife has gotten more and more into Aperture, and I'd like to get her an Aperture book for Christmas. Any recommendations? Thanks!

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Neither of these wrap well... but my thoughts are:

Robert Boyers ebooks (Organization & File Management): http://photo.rwboyer.com
    Aperture Expert videos: http://www.apertureexpert.com

Both of those will likely dwarf any physical book written. I started with Boyer, and then moved to the videos. I think the combination was very powerful.

Make her a nice photo gift card announcing the purchases. ;)

/Jim

3. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Maybe a subscription to something like Lynda.com would be a good option. While books can be great, sometimes videos provide a more effective method of getting information across and the right information at that. There are other services but that one was at the top of my head.

4. Hrhnick macrumors member

I second Lynda.com, amazing resource, covers hundreds of topics on Aperture and other applications.

5. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I started with the Lynda videos since I already had a subscription. The Boyer books recommended by Jim are a good follow up. The Lynda videos have better info on editing features while Boyer covers photo organization better.

6. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I've heard good things about Lynda.com training. I've considered it... but haven't yet.

I really love the Boyer books. They are pretty small, but jam packed with just the right data. I often go back and re-read them even after using Aperture for years. Boyer has [well justified] strong opinions, and focused on the "why" to do certain things... rather than being a boring instruction manual regurgitating the functions of buttons. For me (and maybe for my personality)... I think it set me off knowing the Aperture fundamentals.

Because I've never signed up for Lynda.com, I am not in a position to compare them to ApertureExpert. Joseph does a good job on the videos... and I've learned a ton from each one that I've watched. At only $2 a pop... it is a bargain.

/Jim