iPhone Best App for 1080p mkv Playback

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by HUGE AL, Jan 21, 2014.

1. HUGE AL macrumors regular

Is there a better jailbreak app that can play back large video files like these? VLC for iOS fails, and I really didn't appreciate the bait-and-switch of Infuse 2.

Many Thanks!

2. wildonrio macrumors 6502

3. Djlild7hina macrumors 6502a

I use XBMC to stream my files from my comp or HD Player with the codec and plays hi10p

4. HUGE AL thread starter macrumors regular

I'm more looking for a player only, not to stream. I've got Plex and never use it.

Searched the forums and these were recommended almost a year ago -- well before the iPhone 5S (which is what I'll be running it on) and iOS 7:

HD Player Pro
    AVPlayerHD
    It's Playing
    RushPlayer+ (is this the same thing as RushPlayer HD in the iTunes App Store?)

Anybody have experience with any of these running the format I mentioned?

5. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

rushplayer+ is a lot different than the one in the itunes app store according to Menneisyys2. He highly recommends this app for MKV playback. maybe wait for him to chime in and give you a more informed opinion

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1683047
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1652736

6. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Indeed RushPlayer+ is the app to prefer if, for some reason, you don't want to use nPlayer or Infuse - XBMC is way worse. And you don't even need to purchase the IAP for playback. XBMC can only be recommended if you stream or, otherwise, want to play back some uncommon format not supported by other players at all (e.g., special WMA audio formats).

Nevertheless, both nPlayer and Infuse (both commercial AppStore apps) have their advantages over RushPlayer+ too. nPlayer is prolly the best all-around player and Infuse has by far the best AirPlay support. However, both lack DTS, which is supported by RushPlayer+.

----------

Also, feel free to check out my reviews in both the iPad Apps and Hacks forum here - I've reviewed and thoroughly compared all the apps you've listed (and many more).

7. HUGE AL thread starter macrumors regular

Menneisyys2 I'm just looking for the best app to play back the format I've referenced. What is your advice on that? :)

8. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

1, does it have DTS audio?
    2, do you need to stream it via AirPlay?

9. HUGE AL thread starter macrumors regular

1. Rarely. Usually x264.
    2. No

Many thanks, Menneisyys2!

10. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Than, RushPlayer+ will work just fine, should you want to stick with free and JB-only solutions.

11. HUGE AL thread starter macrumors regular

RushPlayer+ in Cydia is $2.99. I'm totally cool paying for it. Just wanted to be sure we're talking about the same thing. :)

12. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

As I've explained above: it's IAP and isn't needed for playback, unless you want to gain advanced filelist sorting etc. capabilities.

13. Prabas macrumors 6502a

Prabas

14. Mihindu macrumors newbie

I use AVPlayer for all my TV Series and it plays mkv files perfectly in HD.
    Actually the majority of the files I do watch are .mkv and they run fine.

15. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Yup, this is why I recommend AVPlayer(HD) in all my MKV-related articles; for example,

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1652736

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1679716

It's considerably better at playing back local MKV's than XBMC, which, again, I do not recommend, unless you need its unique features, incl. DTS audio.

16. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

x264 is for video ;P

17. HUGE AL thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, sometimes I type the most retarded things. :rolleyes:

Menneisyys2, what's the best way/place to put videos to play in RushPlayer+? I've got iExplorer or can easily SSH into the phone. Or hell, this might be a good excuse to finally use iFile.

18. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Anywhere. It can access the whole file system, starting from the root - unlike AppStore players - or, for that matter, even XBMC. This also means it can access video files in the Documents folder of any AppStore player, making those videos available to be played in two players without symlinking.

19. HUGE AL thread starter macrumors regular

Decided to dump them in the VLC app as it's super easy to manage that way.

I was experimenting with a video and was able to turn off the subtitles in all applications EXCEPT for RushPlayer+. I checked "None" in the subtitle option, but it will not turn off. Is this a glitch?

20. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

RP+ has pretty bad subtitle support.