Best App for accurate GPX recording using iOS 6

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Dave2084, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Dave2084, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2013

Dave2084 macrumors newbie

I am looking to purchase a app for my iPhone 4S to log a GPX track whilst driving at up to 70mph (112kph), but do not want to spend money if the app does not work properly for my requirements.

I realise this should not be a problem, but I have tried a couple of free apps and they suffer form issues introduced in iOS6 where if travelling at over 20mph (32kph) the GPS data provided to the app will "Stick" to the apple maps road. This is no good for the tracks I want to record as the Apple maps data in the area is 15 months out of data and the data gets corrupted when the old and new paths of the road diverge casing the tracks to "Stick" to the old road path for a time.

There is a good description of the problem and workarounds here:
    http://ilquest.com/2012/11/02/ios-6-is-unusable-for-people-relying-on-accurate-gps-tracks/

Thanks in advance for your reply!

2. lsquare macrumors 6502

3. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

4. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I use Motion-X GPS for hillwalking and I think it is fantastic at logging position and of course it handles GPX data. One can download various maps for free (Open Street Map) and use them without a network connection. I do not drive, so I cannot say whether is is reliable for turn-by-turn instructions or how well it would handle higher speeds (on the few occasions I have accidentally left GPS tracking on in a car, it has performed very well). As noted above, it just depends on what you want from the system.