Best app for breaking news w/live video

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by FortWorthMac, Mar 11, 2011.

1. FortWorthMac macrumors 6502a

With what's going on in Japan this morning I tried to find some live video feeds of the coverage. Of course I first checked my CNN app. While they had video of the stories there was no live continuing video coverage. I then checked a few others apps and kept striking out.

So I guess my question is, are there any apps I'm overlooking or websites that have live video feeds, playable on the iPad/iPhone that one can turn to?

Thanks
    David

2. MrMinor macrumors 6502

This is exactly what I came to ask. I got live video from Japan on CNN, but it was in Japanese. I am anxious to hear what other apps people are using today for breaking news video.

3. FortWorthMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm a little disappointed in CNN. I know that can't always stream live video to the iPad/iPhone app but if this doesn't qualify, what does?

4. Bathplug macrumors 6502a

5. Punkwaffle macrumors regular

Punkwaffle

6. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

Go to filmon.com and create a shortcut on the homescreen. I subscribed to the $10/month package and I get to watch quite a few live TV channels, including CNN International, BBC and Al Jazeera English. All live. :D

7. FortWorthMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is this legal? and the cheapest plan I see is $14.95.

8. AceCoolie macrumors regular

Slide show?

Along the same lines, I'm sitting here at work with my iPad in a dock on my desk. I'd love to have some sort of slide show running with news headlines/pics etc. If one looks interesting, I could click it and read the story. Anyone know of an app to do this?

9. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I think a lot of people are expecting a tv tuner in their iPad. Is there an app for live tv at this point?

10. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

There can't be an app because those streams (NBC, CBS, etc) are all copyrighted, so they're broadcast over-the-air but obviously the iPad doesn't have a tuner. On the other hand, you could find a website that streams live tv.

Edit: justin.tv has a live CNN feed, and they also have an app in the app store, though I doubt it has their live feeds

11. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Time Warner app now streams CNN among other channels - but must be a subscriber to both TV and Internet.

12. SSpiro macrumors 6502a

SSpiro

This.. I'd be down for this..!

13. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Yahoo home page.

14. benniboom macrumors newbie

I just tried the iPhone app of the Japanese TV NHK World on my iPad, It's translated in english live, the quality is good and it's live news 24/7 about the event in Japan.

15. AceCoolie, Mar 17, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2011

AceCoolie macrumors regular

um...I opened the Yahoo home page in safari and it hardly displays a slide show of headlines. It's just a static page like any other site. Am I missing something?

So far, I'm using Flipboard and the featured page does this except for the huge fricken Flipboard logo in the upper left corner.

16. Zelnaga macrumors regular