Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NavySEAL6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
I'm looking for an app that will allow me to keep files in sync between computer/iPad/iPhone and allow me to edit on any platform, regardless of having an active Internet connection. Support for folders/organization would be a big plus. A full fledged office app would be great but isn't mandatory for me so I was thinking about going with Pages. Does pages for iOS also sync to Pages on Mac? Any advice in this app or another would be great

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
I'm looking for an app that will allow me to keep files in sync between computer/iPad/iPhone and allow me to edit on any platform, regardless of having an active Internet connection. Support for folders/organization would be a big plus. A full fledged office app would be great but isn't mandatory for me so I was thinking about going with Pages. Does pages for iOS also sync to Pages on Mac? Any advice in this app or another would be great

"Document creation", to me, means generating content; getting words on paper. So, with that in mind, I would suggest a bare bones text app like Notesy. It's proven to me to be rock solid when it comes to syncing (Dropbox in my case) automatically, so I can have my data on my iPhone, iPad, or any number of computers I find myself at. On other platforms, I've tried apps that supposedly replicate formatting, but there's always something that won't work just right. So I save any such formatting until the end, and do it in the app I need it in.

Regards,
Tom

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California

Can't sync or keep files in sync without an internet connection or having all the files reside on the same network, in which you will still need a network connection.

Document creation is creating the document from scratch. Are you just trying to keep files in sync with each other? That is what it sounds more like to me but want to make sure.

NavySEAL6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
Can't sync or keep files in sync without an internet connection or having all the files reside on the same network, in which you will still need a network connection.

Document creation is creating the document from scratch. Are you just trying to keep files in sync with each other? That is what it sounds more like to me but want to make sure.

What I mean is I would like to have the documents stored locally on my iPad and when I do get an internet connection I can sync back up.

I do mean that I want an app to start writing in, but after one of the above posters mentioning creating text and saving formatting until the end, I think that's the best option. Right now I'm tinkering with Notability and I'm going to try what was suggested above

----------

I was about to download that right away but the $25 price tag stopped me! I wouldn't mind paying that for something top notch though so I'm going to do some research on it

ikev85

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2012
it's legit. It can do all the basic formatting you'll need.

If you want pretty templates and low-mid grade editing use Pages

NavySEAL6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
It seems UX write has the functionality I want about working offline and syncing when I reconnect to the Internet. Does pages offer this functionality?

Also I've seen people say that iOS pages won't sync with desktop pages is this still true?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.