Best App For Erasing Deleted Data

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by PaulNI, Mar 9, 2013.

1. PaulNI macrumors member

I need an app for overwriting all the data I have deleted on my macbook air.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I've used the standard shredder for individual files but I want something that will properly delete everything else that I've deleted in the past via the recycle bin.

So looking for something that does a proper secure delete as I'm going to sell my Macbook Air

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you have Lion or Mountain Lion, turn on Filevault full disk encryption (Security pane in System Prefs) and let it finish. Then command-r boot to recovery and use Disk Utility to erase Macintosh HD. When that is done reinstall the OS.

You will have erased an encrypted image of your drive. Even if someone managed to recover the image it would still be encrypted and useless to them.

3. PaulNI thread starter macrumors member

That's awesome, thanks very much for the advice Weaselboy! :)

4. 2012Tony2012 macrumors 6502a

2012Tony2012

This is what you do to permantely delete any erased data, the best and safest and quickest way......after erasing a file, then copy another file onto the hard drive of equivelant or greater size than the erased file, then the originally erased file is overwritten and gone forever.

And you can also grab any file, e.g a 10GB file and write it to your hard drive, and the Mac. Problem solved.