Best App for Finding Duplicate files?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by techguy40, Nov 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. techguy40 macrumors regular

What app do you recommend for the Mac to find duplicate files and photos?
    Thanks

2. tatarin macrumors newbie

I have used Chipmunk for about 5 years and highly recommend it. I have used it successfully to search volumes containing over 400,000 files. This took about 20 minutes with the rainbow cursor spinning but it worked.

The only limitation I have encountered is in situations where the duplicate files are located in the same folder. The app finds them but can't delete them itself. They need to be manually deleted.

In these cases, I use TidyUp. This is a much more complicated and versatile app -- but you really need to read the manual!

3. caughtinfire macrumors member

caughtinfire

I recently downloaded Gemini to help me clean up stuff before moving to a new machine. You can download the trial version from their site to try things out and see how it works. It didn't find everything the first run though though, which I thought was a bit odd. I ended up just doing the trial version to find things and then manually reconciling files (the trial won't let you delete stuff from inside the program) which was enough for my short term goals.

4. Lisabe macrumors newbie

Lisabe

Hi, you also could get ED DuplicateFinder from the Mac App store to have a try, it can find files with same content even if those files have different names based on MD5 value checksum algorithm, and now it's on sale.

5. josh.b macrumors regular

6. padapada macrumors regular

If you have only a few duplicates, the UI based tools are fine.
    In my case I had to clean up my parents mess of 20 years, meaning there were 3+ copies of every photo and probably 100k+ files. Directories were duplicated etc. In this case the UI's were useless and I resorted to rmlint. Be warned: it's not for the average user. But for my use case it was the perfect tool and let me clean up the mess in less than a day.
    Again: this is more for people used to compiling/programming in linux.

7. BinaryTim macrumors member

8. conorporter macrumors newbie

9. kylekai macrumors member

HDCleanUp

HDCleanUp does a great job searching for duplicate apps and duplicate files, as well as 12 other tasks.

It's at the Mac App Store:
    HDCleanUp

10. Quotenfrau macrumors 6502

Quotenfrau

be warned Gemini shows advertising even if you pay for it via Mac App Store

11. saberahul macrumors 68040

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.