Best app for floor plans?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rumorsdan, May 8, 2010.

1. rumorsdan macrumors regular

Looking for suggestions on the best app to do 2d floor plans. Something that's easy to learn and preferably not that expensive.

2. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

My two favorites:

Live Interior 3D - approx $50 US, more for the Pro version. Yes, it's a 3D program but you draw the plan in 2D & then can render the 3D view.

Google Sketchup - free, not as easy to do 2D drawings, but doable.

3. rumorsdan thread starter macrumors regular

The plans look a little amateurish. I also don't need 3d capability so sketchup doesn't really appeal.

If anybody has something else to recommend, please do.

4. hamlinspahn macrumors regular

Concept Draw Pro

I use Visio with bootcamp, but Concept Draw Pro is a Mac application like Visio and it is easy to use but not cheap about $250 and it isn't really intended for that but it does it well. You can download a trial and give it a look. Just a suggestion I'm sure there are others and even better solutions but it is worth a look.

5. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

6. Space Penguin, Oct 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  7. artash91 macrumors newbie

artash91

Try floorplanner.com! The site includes also lots of written and video tutorials that will help you quickly get started!

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I used Magic Plan and found it to be pretty good. The capture mode is very clever.

9. alexjholland macrumors 6502

I had this exact question recently. I just wanted a simple, 2D floor planner, for under £20. I purchased one from the Mac Store and it was so bad (no product measurements) that I asked for a refund. I then gave up.

Then LucidChart announced their new floor planner. It's great. Not a massive range of products, but it behaves very nicely. You can easily improvise products outside the range of chairs, sofas and tables with geometric shapes made to size - I just keep the Ikea catalogue open.

You can sign up for free and have up to 60 items; or pay a few quid a month for a subscription. It's a great program for flow charts.

Here's my plan, so far.

[​IMG]

10. b06tmm macrumors regular

b06tmm

That looks really nice!

I recently spent a frustrating afternoon with Sweet Home 3D.

Here is what I was able to accomplish that afternoon:

[​IMG]

Sweet Home seems to be very technical, and is free, but the one you show, LucidChart looks to be just what I'm looking for. I want to rearrange a few rooms but want to map it out first. I'm tired of finding out the hard way that my ideas will not work :).

11. alexjholland macrumors 6502

Yup. I loved Lucid Chart already; so had a feeling the home planner would be great when it was announced. It's perfect for what I want.

12. zeroge macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Sep 12, 2016 ---
    Crap. Need to run Mac's rubbish Yosimite OS

13. mpainesyd macrumors 6502

mpainesyd

Check out Omnigraffle. It has floorplan templates