Best App for HD Movies?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sup3r1or, Jul 26, 2010.

1. sup3r1or macrumors regular

Ok,

I have been circulating on this issue for a while now, what is the best application to watch HD movies, Im taking about MKV files in particular. Please do not offer me VLC straight of the bat, I know its a good player but when it comes to HD content it really really is a pile of crap.

Since I was a Windows user before, I used VLC extensively but when I encounter MKV files, video is laggy,audio is out of sync I get different sort of artifacts poping out. Its unwatchable. It took me months of windows to find the right set of codecs after which all movies worked like a charm. I even tested it out of my friends Dell XPS13 1.4 Ghz PC. It was as smooth as silk.

And here I bought Macbook Pro, i try to play my Full HD Avatar 1080p with VLC and its starting to lag slowly becoming unwatchable. If I by any chance fast forward it, thats it lag land welcomes me warmly.

Are there any alternatives on the mac? I tried Perian but it didnt really solve the issue. Come on there must be at least something on mac.

Thank you for your help

2. sup3r1or thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the tip, when I get back home I will check it out. Any more info on this program or any other one? Interesting to know what are you using people?

3. bo-waleed macrumors 6502

i converted my mkv files to avi so i can watch it on QT by perian

i don't want mkv files because it takes a lot of space

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

.mkv is only a container for MPEG-4 codec variants. You can get smaller files with more compression, it has nothing to do with the container. .avi and .mp4 files using a MPEG-4 codec variant can be as big as .mkv files.

You can use Handbrake to further compress the video if you want and still keep the .mkv format.

5. sup3r1or thread starter macrumors regular

I have tried this program, it is definitely better than VLC when it comes to MKV. However when I gave it my 22 GB Mkv of Avatar in 1080p. After fast forward to one scene I got slide show with no sound for like 1 minute, then movie works for 1 minute normally then slide show again.

Never happened like this on windows. :( damn it sux

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have a look at Activity Monitor ( Applications / Utilities / ) and select All Processes and sort by CPU to see what the culprit may be.

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]

See, how much CPU Movist uses and report back.

Btw, what exact Mac do you have?

I also have no problems with a 14GB 1080p .mkv file on my 2007 2GHz iMac with 4GB.

7. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

I have never had any problem with VLC on any of the Macs I have ever owned. That's probably not what you wanted to hear haha but I don't think it's a pile of crap as you imply. Although I guess it works differently for everyone.

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

VLC is not good with playback of HD movies, especially fast forward or rewind. Movist gives instead results, when one skips to another part of the HD movie, while VLC takes its time to do the same or just quits. The latest version of VLC (1.1.0) might be better though.

9. laserbeam macrumors newbie

laserbeam

Latest VLC Worked for me

I had similar issue playing .mkv files.

I installed Perian for QT, it just played the video (couldn't hear any sound).

I tried with VLC it did not work. Then I installed the latest version of VLC, it took like 30 seconds to load the movie but worked well after that.

No issue with Fast Forward / Rewind.

Else the other option would be to convert this into .mp4 file.

10. bender o macrumors 6502

bender o

11. sup3r1or thread starter macrumors regular

I have macbook pro 13 2010 model.

here is my screenshot it looks that it eats up more than 100% of cpu which is just insane. WTh?

Attached Files: