Best App for NYC

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 2A Batterie, Mar 16, 2009.

1. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

I'm in NYC for the week and am considering a move here. Obviously NYC is quite large and there's soooo much to do and so much potential for confusion. I'm looking for a good app to get around the city with that has map and gps info and food/entertainment info too. Does anyone have any positive or negative feedback about the NYC apps out there?

2. clearchaos macrumors regular

clearchaos

3. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

what about directions? Like say I want to get to a certain destination. Is there an app out there that tells me the easiest way to get there using subways/buses or a combination of those two?

4. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Doesn't Maps do that?

5. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

I was about to say that lol.
    Search the App store for "NYC" and see what comes up.;)

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Google Maps app will do that. When you enter 2 places, there will be an icon of a bus on the top of screen. Tap it for public transport directions.

7. diemos macrumors 6502

8. 2A Batterie thread starter macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

Horrible! Maybe I'm expecting too much out of the Maps app, but it was completely horrible in NYC! I've used VZnav on a BlackBerry Storm and it was much better. Using the Maps app to navigate driving through Brooklyn may have cost me more time than it saved. In fact, I used Maps to navigate driving back to Pittsburgh. I wasn't paying close attention to the directions it gave me, and before I knew it Maps was taking me the long way! Grrrr. Multiple times in NYC and outside I mapped out a route and then while in the same spot hit re-route to get entirely different directions. I returned the GPS I received for Christmas; now I'm thinking I should have kept it.

9. barkomatic macrumors 68040

The "city transit" app is great. It has complete transit maps and will locate the nearest subway station to you. It's great.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm kind of surprised! Google Maps for getting around Chicago via public transit is amazing.

11. bigmouth macrumors 6502

Second this. The advisories for specific lines are also really nice.

12. Lara F macrumors 6502a

To be fair Maps just got me to a Staten Island hospital (from Brooklyn) when the cabbie didn't know the directions. It's much better used as a passenger though - I can see why voice is such a big deal.

To the OP - I second urbanspoon for food. If you want to splurge there's Zagat or Michelin. I also use CityTransit for subway routes. I haven't really found a great entertainment app with respect to theater/ballet/opera performances or museum exhibits - maybe someone can suggest one?

13. pugnut macrumors 6502a

Google

Was in NY for a week a month back and used map's for bus and Subway with no issues... worked well