Best app for organizing photos (apart from iPhoto)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by seandavid010, Nov 17, 2011.

1. seandavid010 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, hoping to get some helpful feedback on this one. I've searched the forums over the course of a few weeks, and haven't found anything matching my exact question:

I use and love iPhoto for all my family pictures, and want to keep using it for my personal photo library. However, for work I have built up a fairly large collection of images that I need to organize, but want to keep separate from my family pictures. I'm looking for an application that's rather simple - one that allows me to organize a bunch of images in a file-like structure - that has a preview window and a search function. The ability to keep the library of images in sync across two computers (via dropbox?) would be gravy, but not totally necessary.

Any ideas? I've searched the App store, and come away empty handed. Thanks in advance!

2. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

What he said.

3. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

Aperture is quite a leap in terms of understanding, but it is powerful. Using keywords I am able to store all my photos, but quickly separate home from work, etc.

If you like iPhoto (09 I assume. 11 is a step backwards IMO) you can create separate libraries and switch between them using the dock menu. Obviously you can only have one library open at any one time.

I don't know how storing a library in Dropbox would work. Badly I suspect if opened simultaneously. Would the photo stream of iCloud be sufficient?

Good luck.