Best App for Playing .AVI Movie Files on iPhone 4S?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by HickDead, Jun 23, 2012.

1. HickDead, Jun 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2012

HickDead macrumors 6502a

HickDead

Either an app in Cydia or the App Store.

Not sure which is the best one for doing this. It seems like there are a bunch of these media players that all claim to do the same thing.

Azul, GoodPlayer, OPlayer, Gplayer, VLC Streamer, MPlayer, AVPlayer.....is there a clear-cut winner?

2. AMC89 macrumors member

Iv heard nothing but +ve reports about VLC player

3. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

4. HickDead thread starter macrumors 6502a

HickDead

VLC Media Player (v1.1.1) in Cydia?

5. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

And I use AVPlayer since the dawn of time, pretty good subtitles support as well.
    Fortunately, you have a lot of solid choices in that category.

YEs, it's the only one.
    It was once on the AppStore but then since it's an open source player (GPL or whatever license) it got removed because of infringement of licenses, If I recall correctly.
    So it was re-released on Cydia.

6. HickDead thread starter macrumors 6502a

HickDead

This actually worked great, where VLC had issues w/ 5.1 audio (no sound).

7. GaMeFaNaTiC macrumors newbie

8. cclloyd macrumors 68000

cclloyd

9. HickDead thread starter macrumors 6502a

HickDead

Strange because .avi movie playback w/ 5.1 audio were not working properly (spoken voices not audible). Apparently this is a known problem/bug with VLC as others have reported this as well.

Also from what I gathered, GoodPlayer was built from VLC and though I had to pay for it ($2.99) from the App Store, it has played everything I've thrown at it with crystal clear audio + video. Also has many other nice features as well, including a sleep timer.

10. testdrive macrumors member

How do you download the avi videos onto the iphone?

11. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

Agree with this, it supports multi-core and hardware decoding, very smooth experience, even at 1080p

12. HickDead thread starter macrumors 6502a

HickDead

There are numerous ways this can be done with the GoodPlayer app (which is why I like it and highly recommend it).

When at home, I use GoodPlayer to connect through my WiFi and upload the the .avi directly to my iPhone from my PC

When not at home, I use the built-in GoodPlayer browser to connect to my usenet site and download the zip directly to my device (and then use iFile to extract the file).

13. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Well, not from me. VLC is, unfortunately, one of the worst-delivering player on iOS. (Both the long-removed AppStore and the identical Cydia version.)

See for example my post on all this at http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=14835589&postcount=20 . Note that that's an answer to a more or less personal attack (a forum member has questioned my ability to evaluate media players), hence the heated style.

----------

If the AVI has an XviD / DivX / MSMPEG4 video track in it (as is the case with most of them), the following players have the best and most efficient decoders:

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-apps/77042-movies-ipad.html#post557696

XBMC is also nice but it doesn't support the iPad 3 Retina screen yet and is very hard to use on the iPhone's small screen.

----------

Unfortunately, GoodPlayer is in no way as good as, say, AVPlayerHD at 1080p at playing back MPEG4-based video formats (MSMPEG4, Xvid, Divx or H.264). See my previous posts in general, I've linked to tons of comparisons in this regard.

14. HickDead thread starter macrumors 6502a

HickDead

Menneisyys2, thanks for your feedback and the links you provided. However I do not see "AVPlayerHD" in the app store.....only one called "AVPlayer. Is this the one you are talking about or is there an HD version as well?

15. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

16. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

AVPlayer is amazing. I have never had any issues with it, and it takes whatever I throw at it! No more converting videos for me :cool:

17. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

There is an iPad HD version.

18. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Yup, the iPhne-specific version is AVPlayer ( http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/avplayer/id395680819?mt=8 )

19. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Unfortunately, it has a decidedly weaker MPEG4 decoder than the, in this regard, best players (AVPlayer etc.). That is, I don't recommend it for AVI watching. (Again, assuming the given AVI has MPEG4 in it, as is the case in most cases.)

(Just re-tested this with the latest, current RP version with the standard MSMPEG4 test video at http://mirror.bigbuckbunny.de/peach/bigbuckbunny_movies/big_buck_bunny_1080p_stereo.avi )

20. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

I've been watching AVI files with it perfectly.

21. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

It's good (there are much worse MPEG decoders out there) - but there are better, more efficient ones. That is, to maximize playback speed with even the most challenging videos (1080p) and/or minimize CPU (=battery) usage, you will want to go for something better.

22. iFix macrumors newbie

23. Iking D man macrumors newbie

try "flex player" no need to covert the videos just drag and drop it from your computer to itunes

go to " applications " > scroll down > click " flex player " > on the right drag and drop the movie you wanna add

free app for jailbroken and non-jailbreak iphone/ipad/ipod

also it can play any type of video file..

hope this may help.

24. jason221 macrumors 6502

XBMC is really useful because it supports hardware decoding of h.264 (which helps performance and battery life) but unfortunately its interface on the iPhone is not very easy to use. It seems the iOS version was designed for iPad and then scaled down (poorly) for the iPhone. Once you get a video playing, it works fine. I can't comment on AVI files but it works great for MKV.