Best app for playing video files not supported by iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Colors6, May 13, 2011.

1. Colors6 macrumors member

Hi,

Can anyone recommend an app for playing media files in avi/rmvb/flv/wmv format?

Some of the apps I have heard of are good player, movie player.

Password protection would be nice but not necessary! :)

Edit : I am not interested in a "streaming" app. I want an app that can play these files when I do not have access to wi-fi!

2. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

does that include FileBrowser ?

3. Colors6 thread starter macrumors member

I have file browser. It does not play media files not supported by apple. Avi, wmv, etc.

The primary task of file browser is to browse and transfer files from my desktop to iPad.

I would prefer stash pro but it does not support avi/wmv format which is a deal breaker for me.

4. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

well, i would have suggested ZumoCast, alas, downloading the app is currently not possible.

5. Colors6 thread starter macrumors member

Let me clarify. I am not looking for a streaming app. Air video and StreamToMe have me covered in that regard.

What I am looking for is for an app to play avi/wmv/rmvb files "locally" on my iPad!

6. Jolly Giant macrumors 6502a

Jolly Giant

okay, got it now ;)

there used to be the VLC player app but it has been pulled from the iTunes store.

unfortunately i don't know of any comparable app.

best of luck !

7. Perihelion macrumors regular

I have Cinexplayer and its not a streaming app. You use iTunes to drop movie files in .mkv, .flv, .avi, divx, xvid, etc into the app and then it plays them locally. I've only had 1 file not play in all the ones I've tried and the app has been out almost a year now...

8. Colors6 thread starter macrumors member

The app page does not specify if it will play rmvb, wmv files.

If it only plays avi files, it will not work for me.

9. WorldIRC macrumors 6502

Perhaps contact the developer to see if it is supported or if they plan to?

10. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Goodplayer is working for me, I use it entirely for .avis.

11. peelers macrumors newbie

Goodplayer and AVPlayer are really nice. I use Goodplayer and support is great, and fast update too :)

12. Donka macrumors 68020

13. Colors6 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all.

I wish stash pro had avi/wmv/rmvb support. It would have been perfect for me.

I am leaning towards either good player or buzz player.

14. firedownunder macrumors regular

15. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

It's also no longer available (except for streaming, which the OP doesn't want) unless you're jailbroken.

16. Colors6 thread starter macrumors member

I have it. Got it before it was banned.

The problem is it is buggy. There is no way to delete media files from inside the app.

One has to delete and reinstall the app in order to delete all the media files played in the app. That is unacceptable as I sync my iPad with iTunes once a month. I can't afford to have VLC hog my disk space on iPad during that month.

17. btrav13 macrumors 6502

I got Cinexplayer, but how do you actually put the movie files into it.

18. SA22C macrumors regular

Like any other app on an iOS device: via iTunes. Connect the iPad, click on its icon within iTunes and go to the Apps section. There, you can scroll down, select CineXplayer and add files to that application.

19. VideoBeagle macrumors 6502a

I've done extensive testing and reviews of several apps.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1012979

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1127455

Check them out to see what works best for you.

(btw, a search would turn these links up)

My current recommendation is for GoodPlayer. It so far does an excellent job with the videos I've thrown at it, and the ones that don't work, get fixed in one of their frequent updates. The developers watch the second thread I posted above and are quick to address any questions. (They usually have codes avail in the code sharing forum, so makes it very worth the while to check out).

And seriously folks..stop mentioning VLC when these posts come up. It's gone. It's not coming back, and beyond that, it wasn't very good the further you got into it (I found it died hard on long videos (movie length).

20. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Will any of these play higher-profile mp4/H.264 than the native video player? Most of the alternatives seem to focus on playing DivX, but I just want to play mp4's that may have more complex encoding than the native player supports.

21. VideoBeagle macrumors 6502a

I can't say if it'll do what you're wondering, but I did find GoodPlayer, using what they call the ipod plug-in, can play some mp4's, that the native player can't.

I haven't looked into it too much though.

22. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

I tried this and it did play them, but the playback was extremely blocky and pixelated. Actually, it's just like when I try to play the same files back in iTunes (QT7 works fine) so hopefully the features will be added to a future AVFoundation. Also, it didn't show the subtitles.

Anyway, AV Player HD was the only player I've gotten to play back my 720p mkv's so far, and it did a pretty decent, watchable job of it. Even played back the .ass subtitles.

23. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Just a question, if the native player, plays these, why would you need another player?

24. rayjay86 macrumors 6502

25. WickedStealthy macrumors member