Best app for push notifications for severe weather alerts and local rain?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by acousticbiker, Jul 18, 2016.

1. acousticbiker macrumors 6502

I've tried AccuWeather, Weather Underground, Weather Channel and Yahoo. None can do both well. For severe weather alerts, it's been hard to find an app that does these for not only saved locations but current location. Free preferred, of course!

2. acousticbiker thread starter macrumors 6502

3. ljdonato macrumors member

I use Dark Sky and it works pretty good. Always checking current location. Of course, notifying of imminent rain in the Caribbean is not 100%, and sometimes it notifies me 30 seconds after the rain has started, but overall, maybe 85-95% of the time it is spot on. One of the most useful features for me is the duration chart, it is pretty accurate. Checking that chart helps me decide whether I should wait a little while the rain subsides or "brave the elements" (when the heavy rain is going to last more than an hour and I got to get to other places).

It is not free, though...
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dark-sky-hyperlocal-weather/id517329357?mt=8

Hope this helps.

4. GIZBUG macrumors 65816

GIZBUG

Its a shame Dark Sky is rarely updated anymore.....take that into mind if purchasing.

5. OfficialForecastBar macrumors newbie

OfficialForecastBar

6. ljdonato macrumors member

Hi GIZBUG
    Are we talking about the same app? In the past 12 months, Dark Sky has updated 9 times. From version 5.0.1 to 5.1.4 per my records.
    Maybe there is a similarly named app?

7. GIZBUG macrumors 65816

GIZBUG

I just noticed that, however no update since March of this year. So basically 2 updates in 2016. Math was off, however seems like development has slowed

8. ljdonato macrumors member

You are correct. Hopefully that means it is mostly stable, and not that the app importance for its developers have slowed or waned.

9. acousticbiker thread starter macrumors 6502

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

And just like that there was another update in the last day or two.