Best App for Removing all traces of an app already trashed?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dirtyharry50, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Dirtyharry50 macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

That's the question. I'd like to find something that excels at finding whatever is left behind after I've trashed an app.

Going forward, I am thinking of using AppZapper which looks pretty good but is limited to trashing stuff completely when you first go to delete an app. It doesn't know how to find useless stuff left behind after the fact.

Ideally, I'd prefer something I can buy on the Mac App Store. If anyone has any suggestions for something excellent on the App Store that does what AppZapper does, I'd be interested in hearing about that as well please.

It doesn't seem to me that I really need any other utility type software on my iMac. It's been running just fine for a year and half and still is. I just figure cleaning out old clutter is a good idea although I probably don't even "need" to do that. I do wonder sometimes though if the amount of space wasted is significant or not. I suppose it might be with games that have many save files, etc. hidden away somewhere.

Thanks a lot for any suggestions you might have.

2. Bertrude, Oct 18, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2013

Bertrude macrumors member

Bertrude

I'm not sure how thorough it is at finding everything, but I've been using Appcleaner when I've been uninstalling stuff. It might be suitable for you. It's free :)

http://www.freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

EDIT: My apologies, I didn't read your post properly with regards to the remnants after trashing an app. I know it's not ideal but maybe you could reinstall the app(s) and then use one of these cleaners to delete it and its associated files?

3. z06gal macrumors 6502

Give itrash a look. I believe that is what it does :)

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you elect to use such apps, be aware that in most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.
    The most effective method for complete app removal (even if you've already deleted the app) is manual deletion:

5. Dirtyharry50 thread starter macrumors 68000

Dirtyharry50

Thanks for sharing the results of your testing along with the manual removal instructions. I'll go with manual removal then.