Best app for runners?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by ra4oasis, Jun 15, 2015.

1. ra4oasis macrumors 6502

ra4oasis

I get my Apple Watch tomorrow (yay!), so what apps folks using with their watch/iPhone? In the past is used Run Keeper, but should I just use the built in app on the watch? Open to suggestions...

2. hArrisburger macrumors regular

I'd stick with Runkeeper. The app on the watch will improve, better ability to track pace history, etc. in run keeper. Although I do start the Workout App to get a better heart rate reading and keep track of it for my rings.

3. LIRunner macrumors newbie

LIRunner

I use Nike+ Running. It comes with a companion watch app and works great. I still need to bring my phone with me but quickly being able to see my mileage, pace, etc on my wrist is great. All of my data for the last nearly 5000 miles in on Nike+ Running so I was glad they have a companion app and that it works so well. Highly recommended!

4. riverfreak macrumors 6502a

riverfreak

Same.

I suspect that run keeper will port more of the iPhone functionality to the native app when Watch 2.0 is available (things like audio cues, obviously not GpS).

So I am redundantly using both the Workout app and the runner per app on my phone.

5. rpramanik macrumors regular

No map for activity app right? Would like that and HR

6. jomo25 macrumors regular

I still think iSmoothRun is easily the best run tracker app on the iPhone. The developer has put together a pretty good Watch app, given the limitations of Watch OS 1.0. But its only available to beta testers via TestFlight. He may still be adding users if you ask him (send a comment via the Feedback function in the iPhone app). I can only assume he will update it for watchOS 2 closer to official release.

What makes the iPhone app great is the customizable screens, the cadence tracking, and the ability to export to many and multiple sites automatically (i.e. Run keeper, MapMyRun, Nike, etc.). Also tracks shoe mileage (for multiple pairs of shoes).

What makes the Watch app great is that all the stats are customizable in 2 swipe-capable panels. You pick which 3+3 metrics you care about. It changes color when paused.

7. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Runkeeper maps my runs. I found it worked well both at home and when travelling as long as I had data turned on for the maps to work. The Runkeeper Apple watch app is a bit limited right now but it is adequate for my purposes. When I have "wrist raise opens last app" set in preferences in the Apple Watch app on my iPhone, I can start a run, make runkeeper active on the watch then either raise my wrist or tap my watch to see my average pace, distance and current time. I'm not completely satisfied with using the watch app to start, pause and stop runs. I find that sometimes when I glance down at my watch during a run, I see the apple watch equivalent of a beachball for a few seconds.
    [​IMG]
    Perhaps a better version will come along soon but for now I am satisfied with the functions Runkeeper offers today.

8. sdallnct2 macrumors regular

I've been using the Nike+ GPS for years on my iPhone, so I'm sticking with it. For now.

I admit, it will, at time be slow to load. And I've had it crash on my watch during a run a couple times. But this does interfere with it running on the phone.

I imagine all 3rd apps will significantly improved as we move into fall.

Now as Apple adds data to its native apps and some of the other common features (social media sharing), I may switch. But maybe not. I've been, pleased overall with the Nike.

9. gregvet macrumors regular

gregvet

So can you run the workout app on the watch and (for sake of argument) map my run in the phone at the same time? I know it's sad but I like to see the map view of my runs/cycles on map my run, but I am also addicted to completing the rings on the bloody watch lol

10. justinharris89 macrumors newbie

For what it's worth, I just used run keeper and it logged my walk as exercise..though I walked 27 and it only counted as 25, maybe it auto records when your heart rate is within a certain range, I had my dog with me and had to stop a couple of times for potty breaks so that would explain the time difference, probably